Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #1
msmk6ix

Trader Rating: (0)
msmk6ix is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR Help: Car starts, runs, then bogs out

Hi! This is a long one so please bare with me. After owning my s13 for less than a month it's already giving me problems.

It started last weekend when it died on me for this first time. Right before I parked it after driving for about half an hour I smelt burnt rubber randomly out of nowhere. When I got back to my car after a few hours, the battery had gone dead. I thought to myself it was the alternator frying itself, as the battery that was in the car was a lawn mower battery that didn't put out the 12v a car usually runs on.

A day after the issue, I bought a new nissan-dealer 12v battery, and the car ran fine again except for some electrical issues. My ebrake light would randomly come on and off while I was driving (which it never did before), my radio would turn on and off after accelerating, and if the car had been turned off and parked, none of the dash lights, headlights, or wipers would work until I gave the car a bit of gas.

One more day after the new battery, and that's when my car decided to stop running. I drove around quite a bit the night before to charge the new battery up, but the day after when I went to drive it again it would sputter and bog out, eventually dropping the rpms so low that the car would just turn off. Every time the car turned off after sputtering between rpms randomly it needed to be boosted, and the car needed to be boosted about 3 times to get it back home. It would run for a bit after it was boosted, but after stop lights when I was not giving it gas, it would sputter out and barely move, jolting back and forth until I stopped giving it gas and then it would die. That's when we came to the conclusion that maybe the alternator was the issue and was taking all the charge from the battery.

Yesterday we replaced the alternator with a brand new one, charged the battery, and we still were having the same issues as before. I took it for one spin around the block and just before I got it back to my garage it began to bog out the rpms and die. Please help me out, I'm so lost and have not found anything related online yet.

I'll also note that when it would jump in and out of rpms randomly before it would shut off, I would press the gas pedal to give it more and it seemed to do nothing, would that have anything to do with the tps??
msmk6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
your thread was moderated for some reason. It's approved now, so I'm bumping it for you.

Sounds like a wiring issue to me. Is there any rubbing occurring in your wheel wells?
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #3
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Have u put a voltmeter on the battery? Check voltage while running? Sounds like a bad ground issue..put check voltage
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:17 AM   #4
msmk6ix

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Barely any rubbing
msmk6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
msmk6ix