Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (26)
SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SupaDoopa
The two-tone throw down. Going tubular.

Hey guys. I recently brought home a two-tone from my neighbor down the road. I've always loved the coupes more and the two-tone was my money shot. I've wanted one since I really got into S-chassis over five years ago. We worked out a deal and I ended up bringing it home. The night prior to bringing it home, we examined the car and got it ready for the move. Que the next day. Calling a tow truck for a tenth of a mile is retarded so we decided to throw a tow strap on my STI and pulled it. I removed the front end just in case. Took a tow strap and got her home. The only shitty part was getting over the hump in the driveway so we took the wheels off [that were flat] and threw some dollies under it. Took a little longer but within an hour, she was home on jack stands.

The night I grabbed it, I got a lead from a friend that someone local was selling this minty mint 50/50's for $20 a few blocks down so I went and snagged them. They look brand new. I was relieved because I HATE the OEM coupe tails.

The next day I started ripping off the rear end so I can remove the gross and most likely destroyed subframe bushings and throw in some SPL solid's. This was the aftermath after removing all the arms, diff, etc. I kept everything I pulled off together because I wasn't going to use it and it kept it easier to store away in the garage without losing nuts, bolts, arms, and all that jazz. So, I was left with a dirty but bare subframe.

At this point my main objective was the breakdown of the coupe so I can get it ready for the tubular front, cage, and trunk cage for the fuel cell and battery. So, I started with the interior because I knew I could knock it out fairly quick.

From there, the engine bay. Once I got the engine bay mostly taken care of, I was going to start working again slowly on the sound deadening. My drill kind of sucks as the battery likes to die quite often and I don't have a plug-in drill. Chiseling wasn't hard. The plan was to chisel the trunk space and then dry ice the rest. It'll keep the dry ice in a much more controller area for working so I started working away. Needless to say, it gets tiring fairly quick.

All the screws and nuts will be saved so I can get either replacements or clean them up. I hate seeing rusty ass shit after I'm done building a car so I threw them all in a baggy, labeled them, and kept on going. I'm not completely done with the chiseling but in another day or two, I should be good to go. As for the spare tire well, I kind of just let it be so I can have it professionally cut out and the fuel cell/battery cage throw in later on. As I got tired from chiseling [cannot wait for the dry ice to get back in stock local so that part can be done in an hour or so] I went to the engine bay to get it all stripped.

As of this moment, the sway bar, brake booster and master, lines, fuel filter, and fuel lines are out removed and I have an empty engine bay. I left the steering column in for now so when the car is loaded back up to take to the welders to get done, I can at least maneuver it around. Hopefully by then the rear end will be done and thrown back in and the front suspension will also be done but that's wishful thinking. I do have some suspension parts laying around but we're not at that point yet. This is a sneak peak of what's to come up front. A buddy at Drift Factory will be taking care of the welding so huge shout out to him. I'm stoked to see it done.

So tonight I decided to get off my ass and into the garage while it's 105 out at 8PM and start working on the subframe I've been super slacking on. So, I threw the bushings in the freezer and started burning out the metal center tubes and cutting out the old collars. This wasn't my first time doing it so it only took me about 45 minutes from start to finish to get it done. All I used was a blow torch for the rubber bushings to get the centers out, a sawzall to cut 2 lines in the collars [I cut two straight lines about a half inch apart from each other], hammered a flat head screw driver down the center of the two cuts, and once the tension was broken, the collars came out fairly easy. Some required a diagonal cut but that was no big deal.

From there I wire wheeled the whole subframe once over to both score it up for paint and loosen any dirt and grime so when I power wash and dry it off, it should be ready to paint right afterwards. I got most of it done and then the battery died on me again on the drill so tomorrow I will be finishing the wire wheeling, power washing it with soap, scrubbing it, and then power washing it once more before letting it sit to dry. From there I'll wipe it down and paint it and slap in the SPL's.

Here is a throw back picture of the subframe in my hatch. It'll be more or less the same thing. Same color, same bushings. I really did like the PBM arms I used on the last car so I'll be going full PBM PBM suspension [toe, traction, RUCA, RLCA, FLCA + tension combo, front knuckles, rear spindles, coils]. I'm going for some decent angle so that will also have me use pretty much the rest of what PBM offers [steering rack bushings, spacers, tie rods, etc.]. Not a fan boy but I love the quality and ability to functionally slam the car without worrying too much about anything failing.

So the plan tomorrow is get the subframe cleaned, painted, and the new bushings thrown in. I also sourced a SR20 local. I started tearing it apart with the intentions on building it for a decent amount of HP [hoping for 450-500ish reliably and correctly]. I've got some time to build it so I'm not too concerned. The original plan was 2JZ after I got a complete OEM block from a MKIV Supra from a good friend locally at TSI but this SR motorset was too cheap to pass up. The 2J will be built once the SR is done and most likely thrown in a different car. So, when I got it home I cracked the top to take a look inside. It has some flaws but nothing that wasn't going to be replaced anyways. It'll go to a machine shop once it's torn down and then the shopping will begin. The outside of the motor was filthy covered in sand but she'll be all cleaned up soon.

Also I got a few things on their way from Japan I'm pretty stoked about. I'm kinda relieved I can use some of this stuff because it's all for an SR as far as motor/tranny stuff. The stuff I have coming is:
-Tomei short shifter
-Tomei Poncams
-Tomei adjustable cam gears
-DMAX roof wing
-Yashio Factory e-brake knob
-Improve Craft CRUISE shift knob

I'm also contemplating AEROMARK's or Ganadors. My buddy said there is a decent amount of both floating around so I'm on the fence. Tomorrow when I take some more pictures of the progress, I'll put up the parts list of what I plan on buying/what I've bought.

Hope you guys enjoy. More to come.
SupaDoopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
dtfdanyo
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
dtfdanyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
sweet build. you need more yashio factory goodies!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
KendallH
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
KendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choicesKendallH has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How do you steal parts from Japan? And how are you intending to steal chassis fab work from your friend?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
xoxide
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
xoxide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallH View Post
How do you steal parts from Japan? And how are you intending to steal chassis fab work from your friend?
Master troll level achieved lolol.
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #5
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Stop stealing this forum's bandwidth.

edit:

Also, good job fucking up a factory two-tone by painting the bay that hipster highlighter color.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
d_nice
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
d_nice is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
lol nice build so far...
d_nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
jdizzy204
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
jdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enoughjdizzy204 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR2001 View Post

edit:

Also, good job fucking up a factory two-tone by painting the bay that hipster highlighter color.

Don't think thats actually his engine bay. I think he is trying to replicate that front end. Could be wrong though
jdizzy204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

SupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choicesSupaDoopa has made poor choices
Quote:

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaDoopa View Post
This is a sneak peak of what's to come up front. A buddy at Drift Factory will be taking care of the welding so huge shout out to him. I'm stoked to see it done.

If you can read, I said it's a sneak peak of what's to come. I am getting the front end tubed and tubbed. I never said this was my engine bay or the color I was picking.

You, sir, are a retard. Stop trolling. It's kind of sad at this point.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Quote:
If you can read, I said it's a sneak peak of what's to come. I am getting the front end tubed and tubbed. I never said this was my engine bay or the color I was picking.

You, sir, are a retard. Stop trolling. It's kind of sad at this point.
Not my fault you delete your original build thread than cram a bunch of "this is what I'm planning on doing" to this thread. How about actually doing it and then making a thread next time?

What other hipster highlighter colors you plan on throwing at this thing?
Old 07-09-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

And with that out of the way, today I started on the subframe and while it was drying in between coats, I started sanding the engine bay prepping to get it cut up and tubed/tubbed. I decided to replicate my other subframe [pictures in a previous post]. I sanded it down to get it clean, Simple Green'd it, then wiped it down. I got the makeshift paint booth ready and started giving it some coats. I used 3 coats over every crease and crevice to ensure it'll withstand the elements and looks good to boot.

After a few coats of purple [Duplicolor Rich Plum; some spots I went over after I took the pictures because they were kind of hard to get so it took a few more passes]:

I then had some of this Duplicolor Clear Effects laying around to throw in some flake so I figured why not. Chances are I won't be using it for anything else. Here is a little sneak peak:

Tomorrow when it's good to go and dry I'll get the solid bushings in and get it ready to throw back up. I would have had them in first but the stupid compressor decided to shit out on me so I'll be taking the subframe over to a friends to get the bushings in.

Also when I was done cleaning the parts of the engine bay that weren't going to be cut up and have a new tubular front end welded on, I decided on a way to hide the stupid brake lines that run over the top of the bay and over to the other side with some maneuvering others have used in the past. I got some brake line earlier today. I just need to get a good quality hard line bender so I don't have to worry about kinks and issues in the lines. I got this empty engine bay image off Google and did a quick photoshop to show you guys the plans.

I'll probably go the banjo fitting route as others have and play it by ear. First the brake booster needs to be sanded and recoated then gold heat taped. I got some plans for the next couple of days. Keep tuned for that and also the progress of the SR tear down and rebuild.

Oh, and any day now some parts should come in from Japan! Big thanks to friends at GT-R Garage who hooked me up big time.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Not my fault you delete your original build thread than cram a bunch of "this is what I'm planning on doing" to this thread. How about actually doing it and then making a thread next time?

What other hipster highlighter colors you plan on throwing at this thing?
Plaid. Bacon. Call of Duty.

No one is asking you to follow the this thread. I didn't ask to get the other thread deleted. I asked to get the stupid troll posts like yours deleted which I've reported yet again. It's also not my fault you don't even read.

Don't like the build or care? Then don't worry about it. The colors I pick and the routes I go are none of your concern nor do they change my mind on what I'm doing. A build thread isn't something you make when you're done. It's something you post progress on hence 'build thread.'

I'm flattered you literally search my name so you can troll every thread but now it's just annoying. Go get some dope S15 aero for the S13 you ruined.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
bc.
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
bc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A build thread is what Zilvia defines it to be, not you. And while I agree, it should be allowed to be made during building, moderators have closed other 'build' threads for not being 'complete' (just not lately).
Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
No one is asking you to follow the this thread. I didn't ask to get the other thread deleted. I asked to get the stupid troll posts like yours deleted which I've reported yet again. It's also not my fault you don't even read.
Your thread got deleted because YOU don't know how to read, and apparently you don't know how to follow rules either, which comes to no surprise with an elaborate background of theft.

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...how-works.html

^ Read this until you fully comprehend it.

Quote:
Don't like the build or care? Then don't worry about it. The colors I pick and the routes I go are none of your concern nor do they change my mind on what I'm doing.
This build thread only concerns me because I can only watch in horror as you desecrate a factory two-tone. It seems you have no intentions on keeping this car clean. I see hipster-hella-slammed-drifting-slut-extraordinaire written all over it. But oh well, I guess it will make my two-tone that more valuable. So thank you for that.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
xoxide
Post Whore!

Quote:
I see hipster-hella-slammed-drifting-slut-extraordinaire written all over it. But oh well, I guess it will make my two-tone that more valuable. So thank you for that.
While I dont care much for/suppport thiefs, Its his car, get off his nuts about what he does with his "factory two tone gem"... hipster-hella-slammed-drifting-slut-extraordinaire two tones are still pretty fucking sexy as seen here:

Because lets be honest... This "preserved" two tone, is hideous.

Not everyone builds their 20 year old econo-sports cars to retain their resale value, get over it.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
PureRush
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
PureRush is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I like where this is going. You have my support but put that 2J in!!!
PureRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
wtf did you do to your engine bay gargamel? did you finally catch all the smurfs?
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
Wake
Premium Member

Wake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud ofWake has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Wake Send a message via Yahoo to Wake
haha nevermind i just realized, NONE of these are your car.

so basically you satrted a wish thread not a build thread.
S.P.P.S. Member #00
**CoUpe LOve** Member #00
Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxide View Post
Because lets be honest... This "preserved" two tone, is hideous.
[IMG]

Not everyone builds their 20 year old econo-sports cars to retain their resale value, get over it.
LOL, I've never heard anyone refer to my car as hideous, so I'll just assume you are stretching to spark an argument. I know for a fact if you saw the car in person you would compliment it, so I'll let you slide this time.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #19
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
LOL, I've never heard anyone refer to my car as hideous, so I'll just assume you are stretching to spark an argument. I know for a fact if you saw the car in person you would compliment it, so I'll let you slide this time.
You're defending your grotesque car in my build thread. You seem pretty self conscious. If build threads need to be complete then yours would be deleted. Get out of my threads. Your trolling is not only annoying just me now - people are now turning.

And I doubt anyone would be excited how you're ruining two. Oh well. Maybe you'll be able to afford a car that isn't 25 years old one day With the aattempts of puttint a newer front end so maybe people won't think you're retarded even though the body lines don't flow at all.

Baiiii.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Bambi
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Bambi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
why do you have a purple subframe
Originally Posted by Frank_Jaeger View Post
It's impossible because I tried once. Took out 4 telephone polls and a girl scout concession stand. All the thin mints and samoas couldn't even be salvaged.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Quote:
You're defending your grotesque car in my build thread. You seem pretty self conscious. If build threads need to be complete then yours would be deleted. Get out of my threads. Your trolling is not only annoying just me now - people are now turning.

And I doubt anyone would be excited how you're ruining two. Oh well. Maybe you'll be able to afford a car that isn't 25 years old one day With the aattempts of puttint a newer front end so maybe people won't think you're retarded even though the body lines don't flow at all.

Baiiii.
I don't need to defend my car, the car speaks for itself. My build thread has been on-going for a couple years now, and if you notice how I started it off with a good amount of work already completed. I didn't buy a car and then post a giant list of what I plan to do with images of other people's cars. You should take note.

Oh yeah and no one is "turning". xoxide is related to bigs so therefore doesn't like me by proxy.

I wonder if this build will turn out like your previous one...

http://zilvia.net/f/builds-builds-on...ldasaurus.html

DEAD END.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #22
xoxide
Post Whore!

Quote:
Oh yeah and no one is "turning". xoxide is related to bigs so therefore doesn't like me by proxy.
You're just mad im not part of the hardtop coalition.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Let's start a cool group with a drug related abbreviation so everyone respects our chassis and those who drive them. Definitely making us look good.

Hard top coalition. Lmao. Seriously?
Old 07-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #24
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
why do you have a purple subframe
It hit puberty.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
DialedLife
Zilvia Member

DialedLife is an unknown quantity at this point
*stealing joke*

I'd like to see some more pictures!
DialedLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Twinkies!
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Twinkies! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
who cares what he does to his two tone, hence " HIS two tone" get off his sack and dont look at his thread, its that simple, respect what hes doing, stop bashing on everyones thread just because you dont like it
Twinkies! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
first_choice
Leaky Injector

first_choice is an unknown quantity at this point
I wish there were more neighborhoods littered with 240s and parts such as yours
first_choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
tengo240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
tengo240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
those bushings are worth it. killer , uumm your car is super fail , just saying , no offense .but really? you got a s13.5 hatch at that , does it get more fail?.just sayin
tengo240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #29
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
*picture deleted due to nudity.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
SupaDoopa
Post Whore!

Well. That backfired against him fairly quickly. Anyways, thanks guys. I am heading in the garage right nowto get some work done. I wish these parts from PBM and again would just hurry up.

I may lay the harness out and label what I am not going to use.