Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (22)
LJBS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
s13 drifting on a budget

I decided to document my build from the point that i'm at now. I've had this car for almost 4 years now and its in the middle of having its 3rd motor swap.
1992 240sx fastback
current motor going in is an rb25det series 2 that I bought from my good friend who purchased it on a clip from J&R out in El Monte. motor is completely stock and I intend to keep it that way for a period of time and slowly build more reliable power.
my main goal with this swap was reliability. I don't want to be the guy at the track overheating, dripping oil, or having any b.s issues. so I purchased a few goodies, oem Nissan parts.
For people out there wondering why I am swapping an rb25 and not just building my SR my answer is that Im going for more reliable power. im not looking to go over 300hp for the time being but when I do I know that the RB Motor has the potential to hold it with minor upgrades and stock internals.
ill update with pics and details a little bit later. enjoy

photos of my car leading up to its current setup. and a little bit of history from when I first got it back in 09

this is the first set up I put together. enkei 92's, TC Sportline coils, unknown skirts and valences, original ka24de, and that's about it

Kinda miss it like this sometimes

After the Ka gave out from constant abuse, I purchased an Sr20 Motorset and threw it in. mid 2010

Fall 2010 drifting with my buddy..not a good pic of him

I was loving the extra power that the sr20 had compared to drifting my ka.

I got board of 15's and burning through tires fast so I decided to try a new look and purchased some 17's Mustang reps to be exact and painted them. this was sometime in 2011

I thought this pic was cool. my car was extremely filthy after this and I still find dirt in those hard to reach areas.

After snapping extended studs on my 4 lug setup and having my rear wheel fly off after initiating one night at orange show, I decided to go 5 lug and bought some varrstoens. soon after I got them, I noticed they were getting popular so i sold them and picked up something more my style. polished rims with a nice step lip. I also decided to run a bn sports replica kit which I waited at least 6 months to get at the time
This pic was around fall 2012

now on to 2013
Heres the car with my current rims. 17x9.5 +6 up front -6 out back I also installed my autopower 6 point bolt in cage

Also I did a little upgrade to the SR. installed an auto s15 T28 and Megan manifold

Car felt real nice with that t28

I inherited some over fenders from a buddy for free and decided to throw them on. I wish I would have taken the time to overlap and weld the flap shut instead of filling the hole with great stuff because the car is noticeably louder now.

I really enjoy driving my car around everywhere so after almost destroying my bumper a few times and scraping every bump in the road I decided to go with a cleaner more simple look that will attract less attention..hopefully
I went with type x aero

My DD S14 and my S13

This is basically how the car sits currently

I do plan on in the near future lining all the body panels and aero up, getting it painted and getting a damn hood. im on the look out for a dmaxx or dmaxx rep.

ANYWHO ON TO THE SWAP!

My 6 Bolt Front end removal

bye bye sr20

My buddy helping me out

Last edited by LJBS13; 07-16-2013 at 06:10 PM..
LJBS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

Heres the motor when I first got it. my friend did a good job of pulling it out of the clip and stripping the majority of parts before I picked it up

I got the majority of parts already im a little late on posting so it will be a big update when I get the pics and info up.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

got the valve covers pulled off, cleaned up, and started to paint them today. I went with a metallic grey. they are almost done just letting the last coat cure then im going to hit them with some gloss.

Before the cleaning

Starting to primer

Here is a good amount of the parts I am replacing.
-Front and Rear main seal.
-shifter bushing
-exhaust and intake manifold gaskets
-circuit sport steel braided turbo lines
-NGK bcpr6es-11's
-Valve cover gaskets with new half moons.
-oem water pump
-SYKO performance motor mount kit that comes with the 3 inch turbo elbow.
I also bought a new exh. manifold stud because there was one that was snapped of in the head. and a few other little oil gaskets.
- I also went with a steel 1 piece driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. I am now waiting on my isis Freddy to arrive from Aceup Motorsports they had the best pricing on the isis manifold and I've had a good experience ordering from them in the past.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
WristWork
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
WristWork is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I like where this is going
WristWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
Mustache240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
Mustache240 is making a name for him/her selfMustache240 is making a name for him/her selfMustache240 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
haha fuck i remember seeing this thing at orange show with the wheel broken off!
Mustache240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #6
ayrtonlucyk

Trader Rating: (0)
ayrtonlucyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
type x ftw, subscribed!
ayrtonlucyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

thanks guys.
so valve covers are done. I think they came out pretty nice

I also cleaned up the water pump area and installed my new pump.

I used the double nut method to install my studs

I also cleaned up the intake ports. there was a build up of what looked to be dried up oil. this is the worst one

and after the cleaning

on the exhaust side I had a snapped stud. I also had a snapped stud on my daily s14 in the same spot so I decided to do the removal myself. I followed this thread http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/120408...old-studs.html
posted by JAMISON182. I went out and purchased all the right tools needed and took my time. and it was well worth it on the RB I barley had to start turning the extractor and the stud came out like butter. on the s14 it was a little more of a struggle because the motor was still in the vehicle so I had to do some maneuvering to get it right but I got it out. here's a pic of the RB.

I also half ass painted the engine bay. I initially wasn't going to because I'm not really going for a show car but the bay was surface rusting in some areas and the paint looked pretty terrible. so 2 cans later and 1 can of gloss this was the result. I still have to clean off the overspray with namptha
Old 07-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking good. keep it up
Old 07-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

I got a little work done over the weekend. I wanted to get the turbo on and start putting the front of the motor back together. I forgot to take some pics while I took the turbo apart, but I at least have a before and after photo.
The crusty turbo before cleaning and painting.

I started fitting all the steel braided lines and Teflon taped the coolant lines just to be safe.

I also replaced the front main seal. very easy job, it popped right out with a flathead. and I installed the new one with a deep socket and a hammer by gently tapping it into place.
here is the old one

I was in a little bit of a hurry putting things together so i didn't take as many step by step pictures as I would have liked, but oh well here is the front with the new timing belt installed, water pump and a decent cleaning job. I wanted to do the complete timing belt replacement with the idler, tensioner, and spring but everyone is on back order with no exact date of arrival. So I decided to just wait on it and have it shipped to me when NissanPartsCC get them in. my idler and tensioner seem to be in good shape nonetheless & the bearings feel very healthy so I should be ok.
The turbo is all mounted up now as well.

Old 07-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #10
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Fantastic build so far!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
MR_GUTTI
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
MR_GUTTI is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Me like it !! Subscribed !!!
MR_GUTTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
LJBS13
Zilvia Junkie

Intake manifold came in today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130725_145334.jpg (501.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20130725_145415.jpg (504.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
jesse_s13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
jesse_s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cool build. Car looks alot better now than before IMO also diggin the wheels
Old 07-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
CLM_s13Type-x
Leaky Injector

CLM_s13Type-x is an unknown quantity at this point