Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-04-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Thread pitch inside rack?

Anyone know the thread pitch of the rack where the the inner tie rod end threads into is? I think I fucked some threads up somewhere and need to get an appropriate tap.

Having trouble googling it. To clarify, not the threads where the outer tie rod threads on to the inner, but where the inner threads into the rack. If that isn't simple enough, here's a pic!

Thanks in advance!
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
travon47
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
travon47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bring the tie rod to a hardware store to find out what the thread pitch is.
Also a normal thread tap might not work since it could bottom out before you get past the taper on them. A bottom tap or intermediate tap would be ideal since there isn't as much taper on them and starts taping with in a couple threads.
travon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by travon47 View Post
Bring the tie rod to a hardware store to find out what the thread pitch is.
Also a normal thread tap might not work since it could bottom out before you get past the taper on them. A bottom tap or intermediate tap would be ideal since there isn't as much taper on them and starts taping with in a couple threads.
Not looking to tap the rack itself. Need to clean up threads inside an offset rack spacer. Didn't feel the need to put that in my OP.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
travon47
Leaky Injector

travon47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Not looking to tap the rack itself. Need to clean up threads inside an offset rack spacer. Didn't feel the need to put that in my OP.
Ok, so I still don't understand why you don't just go to the hardware store and see what thread pitch and size it is? You could have already found out lol
travon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #5
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travon47 View Post
Ok, so I still don't understand why you don't just go to the hardware store and see what thread pitch and size it is? You could have already found out lol
because I live 100 miles away from them and only get limited times to work on my car, so I try to accumulate as much info as I can in the downtime without having to explain myself on forums every step of the way before getting an answer.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM   #6
tougefactory
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (27)
tougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to alltougefactory is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
It should be a M16 X 1.0

Just checked P2M inners and Circuit Sports Inners for S13/S14.

Hope this helps!

For all the latest TF★ news visit our blog!!

tougefactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:08 PM   #7
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tougefactory View Post
It should be a M16 X 1.0

Just checked P2M inners and Circuit Sports Inners for S13/S14.

Hope this helps!
Thank you
Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
awesome lawson

awesome lawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know the correct answer to this question. It is NOT m16x1.0
I think it’s even finer, Mybe .75 or .50 thread

*********Correction! After a few different hardware suppliers it is confirmed to be 16x1.

Last edited by awesome lawson; 12-10-2019 at 12:12 PM.. Reason: Correcting info.
awesome lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:46 AM   #9
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome lawson View Post

2 year old thread

Take the tierod with u to the hardware strore and match it up
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:14 AM   #10
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesome lawson View Post
Who knew I'd see an old thread of mine up top when I rarely click New Posts. It most certainly is M16x1.0. I'm interested in seeing why you're confident it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
2 year old thread

Take the tierod with u to the hardware strore and match it up
This is a great idea if you're in search of like an M8x1.25. Most hardware stores are not going to have a way to verify a 16x1.0.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:50 AM   #11
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday7 View Post
Who knew I'd see an old thread of mine up top when I rarely click New Posts. It most certainly is M16x1.0. I'm interested in seeing why you're confident it's not.

This is a great idea if you're in search of like an M8x1.25. Most hardware stores are not going to have a way to verify a 16x1.0.

Just speaking on my area (im sure theres more out there) have a few local spots/stores that specializes is bolts and hardware. They could easily check the thread pitch n supply whats needed. Not to mention what good is any hardware store if they dont had a thread pitch gauge??
Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #12
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
if you don't own one of these you shouldn't be fucking with cars
https://www.amazon.com/ChgImposs-Imp...a-795985503346

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #13
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
THIS RIGHT HERE.

Pitch gage and a measuring caliper is necessary.
Old 12-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:

+2 good call
Old 12-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #15
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
THIS RIGHT HERE.

Pitch gage and a measuring caliper is necessary.
caliper is dope but most people cant read one
I just tell ppl to use the open end of a wrench to measure size. even the king of dunces can usually figure that out.

Quote:
Old 12-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #16
Krusty_s13
Zilvia Addict

Krusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud ofKrusty_s13 has much to be proud of
Quote:
caliper is dope but most people cant read one
I just tell ppl to use the open end of a wrench to measure size. even the king of dunces can usually figure that out.
I can agree with that. But there are sooooo many digital calipers out now, there is literally no excuse to not have one.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #17
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusty_s13 View Post
I can agree with that. But there are sooooo many digital calipers out now, there is literally no excuse to not have one.
no argument here.

Quote: