Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #1
SiI40sx
BANNED

Trader Rating: (0)
SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SiI40sx
Offset 101 For Dummies

Too much positive offset will make you hit your coilovers or chassis, the more negative offset you have will make your wheel stick out. Take note that the width of the rim plays a major roll on your offset. The bigger the rim the less room you have to play with offset sizes.

Conversion: 1 INCH = 25.4mm

example: 17x10 rim is 254mm wide (0 offset for that gives you 127mm sticking out and 127mm going in)

Mods sticky this?

Also please feel free to throw in some exact figures in here as far as whats the maximum clearance you have gotten from rim backspace. Thanks!
SiI40sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #2
Nismoknightska-t
Premium Member

Location: Azusa, socal baby! why do i live this way?? it must be the money!
Trader Rating: (3)
Nismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfectionNismoknightska-t is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Nismoknightska-t
wow..

you have no life..
Nismokights on http://www.youtube.com/user/NismoKnights
Nismoknightska-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41 AM   #3
180sxLove
Leaky Injector

180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about180sxLove has a spectacular aura about
best thread ever
180sxLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:05 AM   #4
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I don't like the picture, but I understand it.

Everything could be clearer and concise.
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
SiI40sx
BANNED

SiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfectionSiI40sx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidin240Wayz View Post
I don't like the picture, but I understand it.

Everything could be clearer and concise.
be my guest!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #6
89singlecamnoob
Zilvia Member

89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 89singlecamnoob Send a message via Yahoo to 89singlecamnoob
in regards to offset, i'm truly as noobtastic as they come, so this thread is helpful. thanks much.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
hustlervibes
Banned from the Marketplace

hustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfectionhustlervibes is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to hustlervibes
Images are very crude but they work fantasmicly. Would suggest a little more info on our cars limits, but I'm not one to talk because I have no clue what they are. +1 for a good thread for the noobs.
hustlervibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 AM   #8
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Tire stretch also has a lot to do with fitment

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:36 AM   #9
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Doluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiI40sx View Post

Too much positive offset will make you hit your coilovers or chassis, the more negative offset you have will make your wheel stick out. Take note that the width of the rim plays a major roll on your offset. The bigger the rim the less room you have to play with offset sizes.

Conversion: 1 INCH = 25.4mm

example: 17x10 rim is 254mm wide (0 offset for that gives you 127mm sticking out and 127mm going in)

Mods sticky this?

Also please feel free to throw in some exact figures in here as far as whats the maximum clearance you have gotten from rim backspace. Thanks!

Your still not that clear, thats why some people don't understand.

Let me help.

Your example for example: 17x10 rim is 254mm wide with a 0 offset means that the offset is dead center, so you have(254/2=127. You have 127mm front and back space. If this same rim was a +35 you would find the center line wich we already did its 127, now add 35(+35) (127+35= 162) now take that away from the total width(254-162=92) so our rim is 92/162 convert that (162/25.4=6.3 and 92/25.4=3.6) your rim is 10" wide with a 6.3" back space.

This is not going to tell you what you can fit unless you know your car, I had a tool that would let me put a car on a jack and check the in and out clearance, but it grew legs. You can also use your stock to do the math on and then mesure from the front to see how it will line up with the fender
Doluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #10
mrpeepers
Zilvia Junkie

mrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nicemrpeepers is just really nice
I think the original explanation is good enough for me. Call me a cave man but i got it :dunno:

Last edited by mrpeepers; 12-01-2007 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: clarification
mrpeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Doluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruinDoluck is on the path to ruin
a few said the didnt
Old 12-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
punxva
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (31)
punxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfectionpunxva is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Send a message via AIM to punxva
his original picture is fine because it shows the relationship of the coilovers to the rim, very nice, post this in my suspension faq thread please, it's stickied
not sure if you realize this

but when you knockup that skanky drunk sea donkey, you're gonna have to listen to her shit for the rest of your life

age 33 and you dont know your ass from your elbow

punxva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
midnight zenki
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
midnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfectionmidnight zenki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just because you know they need it this should help in the noob quest to understand the mysterious offset problem that has been unanswered for far to long http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp
midnight zenki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #14
xcusememisswyn
Zilvia Addict

xcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfection
WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

You should be required to take a test on this before you can post a wheel question.

For the one below, hub is to the left.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #15
Psycho 240 Freak
Zilvia Member

Psycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-knownPsycho 240 Freak is making his/her stupidity well-known
It can't get much simpler than that. Great write up!
Psycho 240 Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #16
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
That's awesome... Like, for reals.. +1 for you
StaticX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
xamraci
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
xamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good Write-Up fo sho!

If this gets stickied and people post what fits is more/less flush on certain cars, that would be pretty awesome...Just for a refference...

S14
I rock a +0 17x8 Up front and its WAY FLUSH I have to have a fair ammount of camber because my front tires arent very stretched
I rock a +19 17x9 Out back with 225s and they are JUST stretched enough to clear stock fenders with no trimming, rolling, hammering(also a fair ammount of camber)

I would also assume with the above math you could calculate a good offset per the width of your rim...as in if you were to run a 17x10 out back on an S14 with say a 235 or 245 tire, you could probably run a -5 and it would sit fairly NICE/flush in relation to the fender, if my math is correct and my assumptions of fitment are right...

Good thing about those images is that they help to illustrate Wheel Spacers if you understand the math for wheel spacers...that would be a cool piece to add in some of the diagrams

Good Stuff!
xamraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #18
SiI40sx
BANNED

Thanks for the responses. Again let me say that this is a VERY VERY generalized overview of learning offsets. It doesn't go into detail about wheel lip and flushness. The lip of a wheel takes one more extra step to figure out. Notice some of the pics that were posted above? The spokes (face) of the wheel has a certain size also. You need to take that into calculation to figure out flushness....

Next thing we could do is a chart on what clears coilovers and what doesn't.

Width---------------------Offset

6.5 Inch------------------ ????
7 Inch-------------------- ????
7.5 Inch------------------ ????
8 Inch-------------------- ????
8.5 Inch------------------ ????
9 Inch-------------------- ????
9.5 Inch------------------ ????
10 Inch------------------- ????
10.5 Inch----------------- ????

^^ If we can get something like that filled in, that would be the best guide to buying wheels. Again remember, its easy to figure out what will clear coilovers or clear a wheel hitting your chassis. BUT it wont necessary mean the wheel will be flush or be sticking out too much.

THE FRONT (Lip part) OF THE WHEEL IS CALCULATED DIFFERENTLY FROM THE BACK
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
TheRonTom31
Zilvia Addict

TheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfectionTheRonTom31 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to TheRonTom31
I don't get how offset is such a hard thing to understand
TheRonTom31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #20
JoeC1982
Zilvia Junkie

JoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really niceJoeC1982 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiI40sx View Post
Thanks for the responses. Again let me say that this is a VERY VERY generalized overview of learning offsets. It doesn't go into detail about wheel lip and flushness. The lip of a wheel takes one more extra step to figure out. Notice some of the pics that were posted above? The spokes (face) of the wheel has a certain size also. You need to take that into calculation to figure out flushness....

Next thing we could do is a chart on what clears coilovers and what doesn't.

Width---------------------Offset

6.5 Inch------------------ ????
7 Inch-------------------- ????
7.5 Inch------------------ ????
8 Inch-------------------- ????
8.5 Inch------------------ ????
9 Inch-------------------- ????
9.5 Inch------------------ ????
10 Inch------------------- ????
10.5 Inch----------------- ????

^^ If we can get something like that filled in, that would be the best guide to buying wheels. Again remember, its easy to figure out what will clear coilovers or clear a wheel hitting your chassis. BUT it wont necessary mean the wheel will be flush or be sticking out too much.

THE FRONT (Lip part) OF THE WHEEL IS CALCULATED DIFFERENTLY FROM THE BACK
6"+54 or lower
6.5"+45 or lower
7"+40 or lower
7.5"+34 or lower
8"+30 or lower
8.5"+24 or lower
9"+20 or lower

front wheels only, rears should have more clearance for coilovers.
JoeC1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #21
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusememisswyn View Post
For the one below, hub is to the right.
Don't you mean left?
Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
baller should be stickied even though its been covered 1 billion times
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:32 PM   #23
sultan
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
sultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enoughsultan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
just to let you know, a 17x10 wheel is not 254mm wide so centerline is not 127mm.

you need overall width for centerline and offset measuring, which in the case of a 10" wheel will probably be 11".

and there's no reason to convert to mm until after you subtract centerline from backspace, which would give you the offset. it's pointless to convert backspace, overall width and centerline to mm since most people here are in the US and use inches to measure unless they are just trying to be jdm.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
89singlecamnoob
Zilvia Member

89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of89singlecamnoob has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 89singlecamnoob Send a message via Yahoo to 89singlecamnoob
any chance we could get this stickied? this is truly helpful for us noobs.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #25
babowc
Post Whore!

babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan View Post
just to let you know, a 17x10 wheel is not 254mm wide so centerline is not 127mm.

you need overall width for centerline and offset measuring, which in the case of a 10" wheel will probably be 11".

and there's no reason to convert to mm until after you subtract centerline from backspace, which would give you the offset. it's pointless to convert backspace, overall width and centerline to mm since most people here are in the US and use inches to measure unless they are just trying to be jdm.
case point and said.
a 10" wide wheel is not 10" physically.

roughly 11" yes.

i measured a 9" wheel, hair under 10".

we all know americans seldom use mm.
so heres a inch table:

if you cant resourcefully use this^
i laff.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:21 PM   #26
swiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Location: Riverside, califoolyah...Hittin the beach, lookin for ballsuckers!
Trader Rating: (7)
swiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfectionswiftdrift is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to swiftdrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismoknightska-t View Post
wow..

you have no life..
no my good man, i have no life.

For those that don't understand english too well (Esedy clutch lol), hope these pics clear up any doubts.

swiftdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #27
xamraci
Zilvia Member

xamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enoughxamraci will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdrift View Post

For those that don't understand english too well (Esedy clutch lol), hope these pics clear up any doubts.

Thank you for the wonderful picture , hahaha classic
xamraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 PM   #28
SiI40sx
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdrift View Post

[IMGhttp://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/swiftdrift/wheel_offset101new.jpg/IMG]
oh your an asshole! LOL good job though.....
Old 12-01-2007, 11:14 PM   #29
mayco_86
Zilvia Addict

mayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfectionmayco_86 is close to perfection
NIce thread Sil40sx. I could had done a better thread but oh well. LOL
mayco_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #30
Doluck
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultan View Post

If your in the wheel business then it is 10" you dont messure a wheel from end to end, you mesure from the seat to seat.
We always use mm... cus engineers and designers never us anything US.. hehe ... only the metric system. This way its the same world wide.

... these are some nice pics you guys are coming up with....
I will use the hell out of these for trainging..