Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #31
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Huge benefit to a quality twin is you can get rebuild parts fairly cheap and extend the life of that clutch 2-3x over.
I'm totally in the "do it once, do it right" camp, but I can also buy three ACT six-pucks for less than the price of the OSgiken twin. ACT is still a high-quality clutch that will perform it's function well. Also a little heavier flywheel isn't a bad thing on a street car.

It may be that a twin-disk will last longer, but I haven't seen any empirical data on that kind of thing. Which would be very interesting to see. Until then, I'll get an ACT and get my ass to the track and spend the $1000 on gas and tires.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 11:41 AM   #32
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
That's the great struggle in clutches. back in the day with slow spooling turbos and limited engine management, a 500hp car probably only made 330ft/lb of torque. But today they make 400+wtq haha. Whoever decided to rate clutches in horsepower was kinda dumb.

Slipping at 415tq:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=630904

Now I'm reading the disk is 250mm... which is twin-turbo Z32 size. I'm going to measure mine when I get home to confirm. I'll post pics.
Please do because I am curious if I can just upgrade the disc, and retain the pp and flywheel to keep cost down.

Also he states he is running the ceramic full face clutch disc, I assume that means he's not running the 6 puck. Which I would hope would hold more tq than that. I guess there's only one way to find out.
Old 06-22-2020, 04:17 PM   #33
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
I'm totally in the "do it once, do it right" camp, but I can also buy three ACT six-pucks for less than the price of the OSgiken twin. ACT is still a high-quality clutch that will perform it's function well. Also a little heavier flywheel isn't a bad thing on a street car.

It may be that a twin-disk will last longer, but I haven't seen any empirical data on that kind of thing. Which would be very interesting to see. Until then, I'll get an ACT and get my ass to the track and spend the $1000 on gas and tires.
There's just no way to get that sort of data every car will be driven differently.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #34
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Fyi...i went with the exedy hyper single stage 2. Seems like 400hp is my goal, and im just fine with that.
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #35
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14rebuild View Post
Im not scared, just the price.... $ is everything

Can get that hyper single stage 2 for a hella good deal. But again...if it wont suit my need i wont buy it
What is a Hyper Single stage 2?? I though Hypersingle only came in one flavor??

Got a link to the clutch you bought??
RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #36
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
It is indeed a 250mm disc.

Unfortunately ACT has basically discontinued their Z32 TT line. I did find that McLeod makes these Street Supreme clutches that look nice. Designed to hold 70-100% more than stock, which is kind of ambiguous. I think I'll give them a call to see if they'll give me torque figures.

https://www.mcleodracing.com/index.p...kit-51609.html

Spec also makes their Stage 2+ that holds 515ft/lbs and Stage 3 which holds 555ft/lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
Please do because I am curious if I can just upgrade the disc, and retain the pp and flywheel to keep cost down.

Also he states he is running the ceramic full face clutch disc, I assume that means he's not running the 6 puck. Which I would hope would hold more tq than that. I guess there's only one way to find out.

IDK, the pressure plate is really important to how much torque the clutch holds. If competition just uses a factory pressure plate (my theory), then it's probably irrelevant what disk you put in it.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #37
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
What is a Hyper Single stage 2?? I though Hypersingle only came in one flavor??

Got a link to the clutch you bought??
Idk what was copied froma link....but below is what ima run

Should be just fine

https://www.lmperformance.com/858547...push-type.html
Old 06-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #38
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Ah got it! Yep, that's just a Hyper Single. The Stage 2 is a 3 puck on/off switch affair which doesn't hold quite as much torque as the Hypersingle. Just wanted to make sure you got the right clutch

Good pick!
Remind me later and I will pull up the dyno graph from the BRZ/VET setup which made 400+ ft lbs at the wheels on a GTX30(something another) on a Hyper Single. That is up there in terms of the rated torque rating of the clutch (I think manufacturers use a n+x buffer/safety factor when they rate clutches)
Old 06-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #39
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

So a TT Z32 clutch will NOT work on a SR unless you have a custom flywheel. However, the NA Z32 (VG30DE) is a direct bolt on. I went through all this when I swapped a VET into my Z32.

However, JWT DOES make a 250mm SR clutch which I think utilizes Z33 PP and disk.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #40
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
Ah got it! Yep, that's just a Hyper Single. The Stage 2 is a 3 puck on/off switch affair which doesn't hold quite as much torque as the Hypersingle. Just wanted to make sure you got the right clutch

Good pick!
Remind me later and I will pull up the dyno graph from the BRZ/VET setup which made 400+ ft lbs at the wheels on a GTX30(something another) on a Hyper Single. That is up there in terms of the rated torque rating of the clutch (I think manufacturers use a n+x buffer/safety factor when they rate clutches)
Yea say 375ft/lb rating but im sure thats lower then what it would really do.
Old 06-22-2020, 06:48 PM   #41
S14rebuild
BANNED

Quote:
So a TT Z32 clutch will NOT work on a SR unless you have a custom flywheel. However, the NA Z32 (VG30DE) is a direct bolt on. I went through all this when I swapped a VET into my Z32.

However, JWT DOES make a 250mm SR clutch which I think utilizes Z33 PP and disk.

Ran a z32 na clutch on a rb20 trans setup and i know that trans is same as sr/ka
Old 06-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
So what do you guys think the benefit is with a 250mm clutch OD verses options around 204mm and 215mm?
Old 06-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #43
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Holding power and feel. A 250mm clutch will have a much smoother disengagement/engagement than a smaller clutch. Also, the smaller disk are unable to handle the heat as well. Also, larger friction surface equates to more holding capacity.

Only downside is weight. However, I went from a twin carbon carbon weighing 26 lbs for the entire twin disk assembly to a single plate which weighs 36 bs and I couldn't tell you the difference in how either revs out.....

So yeah. Single plate, due to the heavier flywheel also dampens some of the JK41 gear stack noise.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #44
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Keep in mind that most twins are 200mm in diameter, the extra capacity comes from additional friction plates and increased surface area. Not because it is larger diameter.

Think of a clutch in terms of leverage. 250mm gives you added leverage over the smaller diameters. Brakes can be compared in the same way. I larger diameter gives you more leverage and also more heat sink capacity.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #45
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

OsGiken clutches come in 3 different outer diameters, usually indicated by the 4th digit of the clutch type. A = 184mm / B = 204mm / C = 215mm

TS2AS, TS2BD, TR2CD for example.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #46
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:

OOOHHHHH, this makes a lot of sense. I think Competition might be doing the same thing with their "white bunny", hence the 250mm disc. I was wondering what was going on here. Gotta see if I can find some dimensions or something before I go ordering a clutch.

Called McLeod and talked to them about their torque ratings. They didn't seem to want to give me a number but they said that the 350Z six-puck would be perfect for a 400wtq drift car. Probably gonna pull the trigger on that today.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:39 AM   #47
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I called JWT a while back and they say they don't make their SR flywheel meant for 250mm clutches any more.

I think the clutch they offer is only for use with their flywheel, at least that was my understanding.

I ended up with an OSG twin plate instead.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #48
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Confirmed by googling part numbers on the pressure plate that it is indeed a 350Z clutch on the comp clutch.

Old 06-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #49
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

e30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to alle30gangsta is a name known to all
Quote:
Confirmed by googling part numbers on the pressure plate that it is indeed a 350Z clutch on the comp clutch.
996881620 competition clutch is the stage 4 clutch kit pn from comp clutch.

I put the above part number into google. Came up with 350z/g35.

Now my question.

I currently have a red bunny clutch kit in my car with the 6 puck upgraded clutch in my car. Do you guys think they ship them with that 996881620 disc?

Or do you think they ship them with a lower rated 6 puck clutch?

I only ask because if they do, then I dont need to upgrade. But if they don't can I just throw the 996881620 clutch in there, or do I have to purchase the upgraded stage 4 pressure plate too?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #50
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30gangsta View Post
996881620 competition clutch is the stage 4 clutch kit pn from comp clutch.

I put the above part number into google. Came up with 350z/g35.

Now my question.

I currently have a red bunny clutch kit in my car with the 6 puck upgraded clutch in my car. Do you guys think they ship them with that 996881620 disc?

Or do you think they ship them with a lower rated 6 puck clutch?

I only ask because if they do, then I dont need to upgrade. But if they don't can I just throw the 996881620 clutch in there, or do I have to purchase the upgraded stage 4 pressure plate too?

Why guess? Why not just contact them and ask? They should be more than capable of providing the info you need to get the correct part.

https://www.facebook.com/CompetitionClutch/

1108 Ellington Drive NW
Conyers, Georgia 30012

(678) 806-3422
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:42 PM   #51
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Edit I got a response from them after a couple of days.

Thank you for reaching out to us for more insight on the Red Bunny 6 Puck "all in one" VS the Stage 4 Performance Clutch kit. I'd be more than happy to help distinguish more between the two.

The Red Bunny 6 Puck (PN: 60443-G4) was indeed created for those needing an all in one setup for mild-mid performance use and not break the bank while allowing a complete refresh.
This particular kit can only utilize the components it was created with, therefore, not allowing the switch to a Stage 4 clutch kit disc, I apologize.
The main reason being, the diameters are a tad off, the Red Bunny Kit being slightly larger than the Stage 4 kit.
Along with that, the discs are made slightly different allowing the Stage 4 Clutch kit to handle more kicking or abuse.

The reason that is, leads to more of the build of the Red Bunny kit.
This kit, albeit being made to handle more performance, still utilizes an OE Pressure Plate style. This will be the biggest factor, for these particular kits, in holding a higher WTQ threshold.
The Stage 4 Clutch Kit having a higher clamp force pressure plate with a 6 puck disc allowing significant more spirited use.

All in all, the Red Bunny is rated for 330 Wheel Torque, with the Stage 4 kit (PN: 60442-1620) being rated for 550 WTQ.
The Stage 4 kit would not be able to bolt up to the Red bunny FW (I feel as though you may know this, but just in case.) However, it can bolt up to your OE Flywheel or matches the aftermarket Flywheels for your vehicle, below:
Ultra LW FW for 5 speed only, 10.28LBS PN: 2-760T-STU
Lightweight FW for 6 speed only, 15.70LBS PN: 2-635-ST

​​​​​If you have any questions about the above or more, just let me know. I'll do my best to explain.
Thank you!

--------------------------------------------

So basically I'm screwed. Anyone need a white bunny clutch setup. Literally zero miles on it the car is still on jackstands -_-

Last edited by e30gangsta; 06-25-2020 at 10:11 AM..
e30gangsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 PM   #52
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Confirmed that the McLeod 350Z clutch fits the Competition flywheel.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #53
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

You mean the CC white/red bunny 240/250mm flywheel??
Cool!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #54
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Quote:
You mean the CC white/red bunny 240/250mm flywheel??
Cool!
Correct! So pretty much any 350Z clutch should work.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #55
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Do they have an independent partnumber for the flywheel??
Old 09-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #56
e30gangsta
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Correct! So pretty much any 350Z clutch should work.
You are the fucking man! Great so now I know to upgrade to any 350z clutch setup and I should be good to go. Please let us know if the install goes smooth. Also did you get the street supreme?