Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
nonarcs

Trader Rating: (0)
nonarcs is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
S13 Brakes

Alright, I am wanting to get some information about whether to go CTSV brakes all around, or if there is an advantage to going with true stoptech/wilwood/AP racing brakes. Money is not a big problem for the brakes. Is there any advantage with going with a big brake kit instead of using the biggest ctsv brakes possible with 370z rotors
nonarcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Silv1401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A designed-around-a-specific-model will have inherent out-of-the-box benefit of great bias. That said I went cts-v 6&4 pots, cause I wanted to play with setting up my own huge fackin brakes. I believe the best setup for the cts brakes is using Chase Bay Brake Booster Delete, btw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Silv1401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #3
S14rebuild
BANNED

Trader Rating: (8)
S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
A designed-around-a-specific-model will have inherent out-of-the-box benefit of great bias. That said I went cts-v 6&4 pots, cause I wanted to play with setting up my own huge fackin brakes. I believe the best setup for the cts brakes is using Chase Bay Brake Booster Delete, btw.

Why delete the booster? Figure ud want assist with apply pressure with massive brakes installed
S14rebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #4
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

With brakes this big you need to have more feedback to judge how much pressure you should apply. Locking up the brakes becomes pretty fuckin easy with pads that are about 7"x3". Seriously, its like 21sq-in of surface area, per front brake pad, vs the like ~8sq-in from OE brakes. So eliminating the brake booster gives you more raw pedal control and feel. You can mitigate the 'difficulty' of pedal pressure by changing the size and stroke of the MC's piston, which Chase Bays has figured out from hours upon hours of R&D. Supposedly they actually have some kind of proprietary design for the BMC that gives a much more even pedal feel over stock booster+mc setup.

That said, many opt to just swap in z32 Booster&MC with the cts 4/4 brembos, but I've only seen a couple mentions of that for the 6/4s. I'm assuming it's perfectly fine, and satisfactory for a non-racecar.

The main concern with really big brakes is locking them up, so to counteract that, you have to get really grippy tires, that only lock up in the last ~5-10% of pedal.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #5
S14rebuild
BANNED

S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild S14rebuild
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silv1401 View Post
With brakes this big you need to have more feedback to judge how much pressure you should apply. Locking up the brakes becomes pretty fuckin easy with pads that are about 7"x3". Seriously, its like 21sq-in of surface area, per front brake pad, vs the like ~8sq-in from OE brakes. So eliminating the brake booster gives you more raw pedal control and feel. You can mitigate the 'difficulty' of pedal pressure by changing the size and stroke of the MC's piston, which Chase Bays has figured out from hours upon hours of R&D. Supposedly they actually have some kind of proprietary design for the BMC that gives a much more even pedal feel over stock booster+mc setup.

That said, many opt to just swap in z32 Booster&MC with the cts 4/4 brembos, but I've only seen a couple mentions of that for the 6/4s. I'm assuming it's perfectly fine, and satisfactory for a non-racecar.

The main concern with really big brakes is locking them up, so to counteract that, you have to get really grippy tires, that only lock up in the last ~5-10% of pedal.

Gotcha..im running ctsv 4 pots in front and evo 8 in the read..z32 bmc and s14 auto booster...brakes feel great. Wish i could drive a car with no booster setup and feel the diffrence....just worried i couldnt stop the car like when a booster fails
Old 06-23-2020, 01:02 AM   #6
Silv1401
Zilvia Member

Well, it is definitely a workout. You can just flip your brake booster's checkvalve around, and that'll give you a pretty decent idea what it is like. Honestly, it isn't the best choice for a DD car, though. It's like swapping power steering to a manual rack. Requires more effort, but if you get used to it, you'll end up with a better input sensation (and larger muscles).

Old 06-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #7
S14rebuild
BANNED

Ahh i see, ill keep the booster, just dont see any need to delete it except to de-clutter the engine bay in my case.

But would acually like to know the best bmc to run for this setup beaides chase bays
Old 06-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #8
Dominik Ehmke RPS13

Trader Rating: (0)
Dominik Ehmke RPS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Witch jear of the ctsv calipers do you prefer?

I like to check the diameter of the cylinders.
Dominik Ehmke RPS13 is offline   Reply With Quote