Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:08 AM   #1
venom_5
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
venom_5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Bone Stock 1996 KA24DE Won't Start

So I have had my 1996 240SX SE with an automatic KA24DE for 10 years now, and about 3 years ago it started to develop an air leak that got worse and worse until it started affecting idle. So about 2 years ago, I parked the car at a friends house for him to repair the intake manifold gasket (the culprit of the leak). Otherwise, the car started up and ran fine and I drove it weekly.

Fast forward two years, and the intake manifold gasket was replaced a couple of weeks ago and now all of this is happening and the car wont start:

> Car will crank, but does not fire - based on pulling a spark plug and using the ole screwdriver trick, its not getting any ignition
> IACV (i think) makes a super loud ticking noise from the back of the engine
> OBD-II port gives power to a scanner but the scanner cannot make any connection
> Used a noid light today on one of the injectors with no response, so may not be getting distributor signal to ignition OR fuel
> Attempted to use a voltage probe for the 2-pin and 6-pin connectors on the dizzy, the 2-pin connector is showing 11.6V on the red/black wire, i was told to test the white/black wire on the 6-pin connector for 12V but i was only getting like 2V with the key in the on position (i believe this is pin # 2 out of the 6)
> There is a strange clicking coming from under the dashboard when you turn the key and the car is trying to start

It is also worth noting that the car has a Viper alarm system, i thought maybe that could have some feature that kills ignition but wouldn't explain the rest of it

Any Ideas?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Bone Stock 1996 KA24DE Won't Start

Viper alarms usually do have a kill switch. If you find the wiring to it, and the wiring has a relay built in with two thick wires, that’s your kill switch. Can’t recall the color they use, I wanna say orange / green

No connection to your Ecu, no spark and no fuel tells me it might be your eccs relay located behind the ecu. When that relay takes a shit, you will get the symptoms above. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
OutlawLui
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
OutlawLui is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Did you ever change the fuel in the tank when you tried to start again?

Sounds like might be a relay problem. Try a different ECU as well
Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
^dont start there

No connection at obd2 port, no fuel or spark. Most definitely sounds like a security related issue. Focus on your alarm system!!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
venom_5
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standard View Post
^dont start there

No connection at obd2 port, no fuel or spark. Most definitely sounds like a security related issue. Focus on your alarm system!!
Do you have any experience with Viper 1-way systems and what I might need to do to disable it without having to pull the whole system out? Or an easy way to check if thats whats causing it not to start?

I have toggled the valet switch and tried both ways, i havent tried the remote start option yet though.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
anthony_240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
anthony_240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom_5 View Post
Do you have any experience with Viper 1-way systems and what I might need to do to disable it without having to pull the whole system out? Or an easy way to check if thats whats causing it not to start?

I have toggled the valet switch and tried both ways, i havent tried the remote start option yet though.

I already gave you the answer to it. Find the relay, and reconnect your oem wires without the relay. That’s how you disable it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
anthony_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 PM   #7
venom_5
Zilvia Member

Well this is silly, but worth noting in case anyone comes along....

It was the EGI fuse. I thought all of the fuses had been checked, but turns out just the inside ones were checked. The EGI 7.5A fuse underneath the hood was blown.

Car runs again