Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-01-2020, 09:21 PM   #1
kkmecham88

Trader Rating: (0)
kkmecham88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR sr20det not cranking, and intake manifold is full of fuel

I swapped a sr20det into my 240sx. today was my first time trying to start it i tried turning it over with no fuel pump fuse so i could get the oil to prime it only cranked a couple times and then would stop and then it would only crank once it sounded like it was seized but we could still turn it by hand.

we put the fuse back in and replaced the battery and still nothing. every time it would only crank once and then stop and now there is fuel pouring out of the intake manifold. i made sure the cams were turning so im assuming the valves are still opening. please help im not quite sure whats going on. im going to have a fun time getting all the fuel out tomorrow morning.
kkmecham88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
If the cylinders are full of fuel the engine is not going to turn over, it cannot compress all the fuel in the cylinder.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #3
kkmecham88

I?m in the garage right now and I just checked my cylinders there?s no fuel in there just the intake manifold.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
kkmecham88

I just drained my oil pan there was another quart of what I?m assuming is fuel In The oil pan
Old 05-02-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
You have a bad injector or o-ring (I don't touch those disasters, dunno if they're top or sidefeed, if they're topfeed it can't be an o-ring, if they're sidefeed like a KA you could easily have a bad o-ring, and those are sometimes hard to seat without rolling them, make sure to grease it liberally when you go in with the new one), or fuel pressure regulator leaking down the vacuum hose, or something of that nature.

Go where the biggest puddle and clean marks are.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Remove all plugs immediately

do not crank engine until leaking fuel issue is sorted

remember to replace engine oil (DO NOT FORGET, WRITE IT DOWN)

Once fresh oil and fuel leaking is sort
prime the fuel system and using a fuel pressure gauge make sure it holds the pressure

Then with the FRESH OIL and NO PLUGS, disconnect the distributor (or cas) to turn off the fuel injectors,
then you should turn the engine by hand at first, then crank, ensure nothing is in the cylinders. Be really sure! use a flashlight to look etc

THEN re-connect the distributor and that will fire and spark and fuel
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #7
kkmecham88

So I fixed the problem the injector on cylinder one had a bad o ring I replaced it drained the oil which there was an extra quart of fluids which was the fuel that was in the cylinders. So after I replaced the gasket and the oil I made sure there was no fuel in the manifold or in the cylinders and made sure it cranked. It cranked fine so I put in the fuse for the fuel pump and cranked it over, I?m having some more problems with the spark so it didn?t start but there?s no fuel in the cylinders or in the intake.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #8
kennedy8383
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
kennedy8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Take spark plugs out and ground it on bare metal on car then crank to see if there spark.
kennedy8383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 10:39 AM   #9
kkmecham88

We already did we?re getting no spark I ordered a new igniter chip hopefully that fixes it
Old 05-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #10
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmecham88 View Post
We already did we?re getting no spark I ordered a new igniter chip hopefully that fixes it
Those (terrible) motors have the type of crank angle sensor that has it's own gear and internal tone ring. The gear is plastic.

See if the gear is still on it, and if it turns, and if turning it by hand causes the coils to fire.
Old 05-13-2020, 08:31 PM   #11
kkmecham88

Are you talking about the cam angle sensor. If so i dont think the gear is plastic
Old 05-14-2020, 04:43 PM   #12
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkmecham88 View Post
Are you talking about the cam angle sensor. If so i dont think the gear is plastic
Probably.

I mean, does it also have a crank sensor?

My point is, see if it's reading rotation from wherever it should. If you start on the sensor side of a system, you don't have to diagnose the controlled side twice.