Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
The OEM+ / S-Chassis Preservation Thread

It's slightly uplifting that people are at least posting on Zilvia to ask if they should preserve their S-Chassis cars or make them into complete shitboxes. It's not much, but maybe it's a step in the right direction.

If this thread gets a decent amount of participation, maybe we can keep it and use it to motivate new users to:

- Not post threads asking to be spoonfed specs for stock-bodied cars
- Save 'unicorn' cars from a life of misery
- Preserve the remaining cars out there

Please note the title of the thread.

OEM+

- Suspension work, stock-bodied, OEM-optional-parts-using cars.

Preservation

- OEM nut/bolt, factory-wheel-rocking motherfuckers that do God's work.

The overall goal is to give newcomers a reference point. Where should they spend money to get the car looking decent and lower to the ground. Wheel specs listed here will of course be my opinion, but feel free to chime in. Most people don't want to search the Wheel Fitment Thread so if they can look at a thread geared towards stock-bodied cars they can find what they need.

I'm boring. I do minimal work on my cars to get them lowered, aligned, and on the road. This thread is for people like me that don't want to shoot for big horsepower, cut up the bumper for a fat intercooler, and bacon their fenders trying to fit bigger wheels.

Last edited by dizzariot; 07-16-2019 at 06:18 PM..
dizzariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2019, 05:44 PM   #2
dizzariot
Post Whore!

dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Here are some of my cars, past and present. Most are what I would consider OEM+ and use the bare minimum to get lower to the ground and look good.

180SX/240SX

1993 240SX SE
Rear Upper Control Arms (RUCA)
Coilovers (Feal 441)
Subframe Bushings (not needed to go lower, but should be a 1st stop with these cars)
16x8.0+0 Volk TE37V
Fenders Rolled

Although these pictures are reversed, here's an example. This:

Used to be this:

I got this car with 92,XXX miles. It was automatic, sunroof-equipped, and lucky for me stored in a garage.

After getting the rear bumper repainted and the rest of the car paint/color-corrected, it looked brand new. I sourced the 5MT parts out over the course of a month and used only OEM parts. By the time I got the wheels and suspension on it was almost time for me to go to Japan...and that's why it's important to keep all of your OEM parts.This is all you have to do to your car to make it look decent.

1996 180SX Type X
Coilovers (KTS)
S14 Silvia K's 5lug Hubs/Brakes
17x9+22 Rays LMGT4
Fenders Rolled

Old 07-16-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
dizzariot
Post Whore!

S13 Silvia/240SX Coupe

These are two different cars, but you get the idea.

1988 Q's
This was a preservation car. I didn't want to modify two cars at once, so this one was slowly getting OEM parts refreshed until I found the color I really wanted. The picture is just used to show the difference.

1989 Q's
Coilovers (Feal 441+)
16x8.0+0 RS Watanabe R-Type
Fenders Rolled

Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
you should add a master part number list to the op for things like weather strip, trim, bolts, bushings, etc. could be a very useful resource.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #5
IketaniS13
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
IketaniS13 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You're doing the lords work right here.

We need more people talking about preserving these cars instead of trying to build drift missile shit boxes.

I'm on my third s13 and the cleanest out of all of my previous 240s. 89 two tone. Bought from an original owner. Let's get this party started!

IketaniS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
you should add a master part number list to the op for things like weather strip, trim, bolts, bushings, etc. could be a very useful resource.
I wanted the thread to be more of a motivator...I want newcomers to see you can do only a FEW modifications to get the car lowered, aligned, and looking good. Cars with minimal modification are the goal.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I wanted the thread to be more of a motivator...I want newcomers to see you can do only a FEW modifications to get the car lowered, aligned, and looking good. Cars with minimal modification are the goal.
but, but, buttttttt it has preservation in the title????

guess someone could always start a separate thread...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
but, but, buttttttt it has preservation in the title????

guess someone could always start a separate thread...
I hear you, I just don't have the time to pull out all my records and look at Nissan invoices lol.

If member posting here would like to share, by all means data dump your parts numbers.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
I want newcomers to see you can do only a FEW modifications to get the car lowered, aligned, and looking good.
Good idea. I can’t play anymore but encloudmeout, camryonbronze, and cplhardy are some good ones.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #10
Jo_Galezo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
1993 Nissan 240SX

OEM Type X Kit
Dorki Dori Front Lip
17x9 +22 Nismo LMGT4
Federal SS-595 All Season 235/40 17
Fenders Rolled
BC Racing Coilovers with absoloutely no other suspension mods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jo_Galezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #11
Grady

Trader Rating: (0)
Grady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant futureGrady has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My q's
Stance coilovers
ssr mesh
F:15x7 +12
R: 15x7.5 +20
optional lip

Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #12
Jo_Galezo
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Jo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant futureJo_Galezo has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Love the idea of this thread! Hopefully we can inspire people and show them clean examples of this chassis & not your typical missle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jo_Galezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #13
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
My q's
Stance coilovers
ssr mesh
F:15x7 +12
R: 15x7.5 +20
optional lip
Car looks so good. I want to get the lip for my non-aero bumper too. I'd love to grow some balls and just shell out the cash for the aero bar one day...
Old 07-16-2019, 09:45 PM   #14
danyoson

danyoson is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 240sx was silver moss now silver crystal metallic

S13 SR20DET @ 11psi
Jun lightweight flywheel
B&M short throw shifter
ACT street & strip clutch
Pioneer SPHDA210 7" screen
D2 Coilovers
Gredyy suction kit
Greddy 3" downpipe
Kouki front fascia

although i did change the color in 2010 i tried to keep the car as classy/clean as i could with a neutral color, but this car will draw a crowd at bingo night with people just wanting to know what it is.

so this is how it sits to this day this car is only summer driven karting me here and there on trips and she just clocked a 109,000 on the odometer/chassis.

keep it simple i've owned this car since 2004 auto to manual swapped in 2008 less is more they can last!

instagram: fuckyourpseudonym

Last edited by danyoson; 07-17-2019 at 05:38 AM..
danyoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
Touge_Monster
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
Touge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond reputeTouge_Monster has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Cool thread! If I knew how to post pictures I would post my car even though I’m not sure it totally meets the guidelines.
This thread gave me aids, thank you based god.
Touge_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:08 PM   #16
Hoffman5982
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
Hoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really niceHoffman5982 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I'm fully supportive of this thread and the few companies who have recently started providing us with long lost new-old schassis bits. Here's my contribution:

'95 original 5spd car with 1 previous registered owner. He passed away and the car was sold at an estate sale. The car had been sitting for a few years and the buyer did nothing and let it sit for another couple of years. At some point the driver window was busted. I bought it and let it sit for ANOTHER 3 years.

This past december I pulled it out and stripped the hideous blue interior. With the help of a parts car I completely swapped the interior to black with an uncracked dash and leather seats. I did rear kyb struts, brakes all around, and a tune up and it has now been my daily for a few months. The body is completely straight, although the paint is shot. The plan is to stay completely stock. At some point I will repaint it either the same color or AL0(Ruby red, the color of my first car/s14). I've put a shit ton of little tedious into it already and there's a bunch more til it will count as a restoration, but I've really been enjoying having it.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:25 AM   #17
marc-s13

marc-s13 is on a distinguished road
1990 S13 Pignose Hatch
5 Speed Swap
Fortune Auto 500 Coilovers
R32 GT-R Front Brakes
Square G33 17x9 +15
Toyo Proxes R1R 235/40/R17
S14 VLSD
Kouki Tails
145,XXX km
Original 526 Hot Red

marc-s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #18
Standard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Standard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud ofStandard has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'll play. First is my current s-chassis, OEM 180sx chuki skirts/turn signals. OEM 180sx valance and taillights. Full MAX multi-link, front lca's/knuckles, and subframe risers. Tein HE coilovers. 15x9 +0 dumpster wheels w/205/50's. Have a new wheel setup going on shortly. Old school SSR's, along with a 5-lug/Z32 brake setup. I've owned this car since 2007, always preferred keeping it low-key/ OEM+. The other car was a bone stock '89. The one that got away. Ended up practically giving it away.

I truly love these cars, this thread will be cool, right up my alley!

Last edited by Standard; 07-18-2019 at 11:49 PM..
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #19
tuzzio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
tuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfectiontuzzio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I like this thread.
tuzzio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #20
[240sx]
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute[240sx] has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I feel like the concept of this thread really applies to S13 and earlier chassis. Maybe the S14 has not aged enough, but they don't give me the 'classic' car Feels in preservation form.

That said, I Like this thread and hope it blows up with more entries. As far as S14s go, Bluejayde's black Zenki comes to mind.

Last edited by [240sx]; 07-17-2019 at 09:05 AM..
[240sx] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #21
Young Sileighty Kev
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (22)
Young Sileighty Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 22 reviews

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/152/xc3SLv.jpg

:1989, 5 speed, clean title,
Plans (short term) are to get the a/c recharged, tint the windows, install original stereo, restore the dash, and swap over a Silvia front.
Would like to add a vlsd, z32 brakes, and change out some bushings but for the most part it’s solid.
I’m keeping this car completely stock looking, not gonna lower it or put wheels.
Young Sileighty Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #22
crash n' burn
Zilvia Junkie

crash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura aboutcrash n' burn has a spectacular aura about

Now:

I'm a big supporter of OEM+. The only real reason I didn't preserve this one is because it didn't have the original drive train.

89' CG5 Creamy Yellow base model
5spd swapped
Stock redtop
Poly bushings
Voodoo13 Arms
BC DS coils, custom rates
S14 5-lug conversion
Z brakes
Z32 diff
Old 07-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #23
ddr_geo
Leaky Injector

ddr_geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Oem+

I'll play. Here's my 1998 S14. Original 5 speed SE. Got it 100% bone stock. Had it for about 5 years now.

OEM Aero with lots of custom shaved work
Shaved 3rd brake light
Shaved front plate mount
Shaved side reflectors
Shaved hood nozzles
Shaved antenna
Shaved front lip holes
Shaved hump in middle of sideskirts with molded end caps
Dmax custom fit Zenki clear turn signals
Dmax tail lights
Dmax clear corner lights
Dmax wing
Accord rear lip
Ganador mirrors
JDM headlights
JDM front grill
Apec blast pipes
Nismo 400R wheel
Nismo knob
S15 blue suede seats
Fortune Auto Coils
SPL Everything
Fenders Rolled Only
Work VS-KF 18x10 +14 / 18x11 +14 (4.5"/5" lip)
Work VS-SS 18x10.5 +8 / 18x11 +14 (5.5" lip F&R)

ddr_geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
Kem Poyner

Kem Poyner is an unknown quantity at this point
I love this thread too!! I will be posting pics of my car very soon, I haven't figured it out yet. The thread is also very timely. I just heard today Barret-Jackson mentioned two cars to watch as their value starts to soar. One was the older Supras and yes , the Nissan 240sx!
Kem Poyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
CrimsonRockett
The Architect.

Trader Rating: (392)
CrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfectionCrimsonRockett is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 392 reviews
I'd chime in, but my cars are more resto-mod. I do like how aesthetically pleasing they came from the factory, but just can't stand the stock ride height.

I do have folders with print outs of literally every single last part number for S13's and S14's. I'll see if I can give myself some time soon to scan them and upload them on here for people to reference in the future.

-Jspec-
Instagram/CrimsonRockett
Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Generally you can eat my asshole.
CrimsonRockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:39 AM   #26
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_geo View Post
I'll play. Here's my 1998 S14. Original 5 speed SE. Got it 100% bone stock. Had it for about 5 years now.
Your car is super nice man...but it doesn't fit the thread. I think it's a little beyond OEM+ but that's just my take. Clean car regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
I'd chime in, but my cars are more resto-mod. I do like how aesthetically pleasing they came from the factory, but just can't stand the stock ride height.

I do have folders with print outs of literally every single last part number for S13's and S14's. I'll see if I can give myself some time soon to scan them and upload them on here for people to reference in the future.
Jon your cars belong in here. They'd be OEM+ by my definition and I think by some other member's definition. Factory aero, Factory optional parts, fully refreshed, but lowered on some nice wheels. Seems OEM+ to me
Old 07-18-2019, 11:22 AM   #27
ddr_geo
Leaky Injector

ddr_geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Your car is super nice man...but it doesn't fit the thread. I think it's a little beyond OEM+ but that's just my take. Clean car regardless.

OEM+

- Suspension work, stock-bodied, OEM-optional-parts-using cars.

I can see that. Still stock bodied with oem aero & suspension work. Guess it's OEM++ then ha.
ddr_geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #28
stevenrapids
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
stevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Old 07-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #29
ixfxi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
ixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfectionixfxi is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The point of this thread? I dont know. Its like, lets post cars that are barely modified and jerk off to them.

This kinda reminds me of what the cars on the old 240SX mailing list used to look like back in the day. You know, in the 90s... when people didnt do much other than install wheels, tint and a stereo. That was what we considered modified back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRockett View Post
I do like how aesthetically pleasing they came from the factory, but just can't stand the stock ride height.
thats why you've got your car on casters. you can lower the car and still have good ground clearance. I like it johnny!
ixfxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:59 AM   #30
Almighty So
Nissanaholic!

Almighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond reputeAlmighty So has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
The point of this thread?
Seems pretty clear in the first post..

Quote:
maybe we can keep it and use it to motivate new users to:

- Not post threads asking to be spoonfed specs for stock-bodied cars
- Save 'unicorn' cars from a life of misery
- Preserve the remaining cars out there

The overall goal is to give newcomers a reference point. Where should they spend money to get the car looking decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
This kinda reminds me of what the cars on the old 240SX mailing list used to look like back in the day. You know, in the 90s... when people didnt do much other than install wheels, tint and a stereo.
I think that’s the point. Again.
Everyone gets mad when new age kids wanna overbuild their cars to FD spec, neon colored, tube chassised ridiculousness.
So now some people are trying to show them how simple builds can be great and getting back to basics would be better to see than dudes “ruining” cars for clout.
But someone will always complain about something I guess.
Almighty So is offline   Reply With Quote