Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #2971
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanx guys. I just looked up those skyline knuckles. The first set I found was from an R32. They did have some weird HICAS link mount, but they are aluminum, and they do have the same damper mount location as the S14! Sweet

I have a new set of Ohlins that do not have removeable bottoms. I'd have to pull the dampers apart, hack the bottom off and fab up my own bottom bracket (or just mod those pretty MAX parts) and weld them on. Skyline parts may be the ticket.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #2972
SicBastard
Zilvia Addict

SicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the roughSicBastard is a jewel in the rough
On the off chance anyone else is in the same boat I am, a little further internet sleuthing found that the R33s are iron just like the s14 rear knuckle, and the R34 use the same style damper mount as the Z32, but are 10mm wider at the mount. And supposedly SPL can get you a good bushing to ditch that weird HICAS/toe mount on the R32 knuckle.
SicBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:03 AM   #2973
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
Originally Posted by SicBastard View Post
On the off chance anyone else is in the same boat I am, a little further internet sleuthing found that the R33s are iron just like the s14 rear knuckle, and the R34 use the same style damper mount as the Z32, but are 10mm wider at the mount. And supposedly SPL can get you a good bushing to ditch that weird HICAS/toe mount on the R32 knuckle.
All you have to do is press out the ball joint and press in a regular bushing. I did that with the Z32 TT knuckles I had. Pressed out the oem ball joint and pressed in some Nismo bushings.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #2974
Bry

Bry is an unknown quantity at this point
A little OT, but curious on what the general consensus is on rotating camber plates for caster adjustment, and adjusting tension arm to stock length to reduce bind and aid in clearance at front inner guard?

I understand that top strut bracket hole would need to be slotted a bit more to get decent neg camber again.

I've heard that possible downsides to this are adversely affecting KPI and adding bumpsteer?

If it matters I'm running heyman knuckles in a low s14 on BC coils.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #2975
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
You can do it, but you're probably not going to have enough negative camber if you can't extend your lower control arms.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #2976
Bry

Even if slotting the coilover bracket at the knuckle?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #2977
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bry View Post
Even if slotting the coilover bracket at the knuckle?
That can only go so far, and starts affecting other things too. The best thing you can do is experiment.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #2978
Carbomb
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Carbomb is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
That can only go so far, and starts affecting other things too. The best thing you can do is experiment.
best fucking advice I have EVER read on the internet!

everyone LIVE by this advice. you will be a better man for it.
Carbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #2979
Bry

Haha will report back All for experimentation!

If I can get -3 to -3.5 out of it I'll be happy.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:22 AM   #2980
pjmrnolife1
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (-1)
pjmrnolife1 is making a name for him/her selfpjmrnolife1 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
The rotary 86 by Darren McNamara has a special steering setup (gotta see it to explain it) that speedhunters doesnt have enough photos to make out how easy it could work- if one was able to fab one up. Anyone with more info? Thanks
pjmrnolife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #2981
nieko
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
nieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfectionnieko is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Are you talking about his strut tops?

Those looked pretty dope.
nieko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #2982
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
On my to-do list of upgrades are larger sway bars, I found that Sikky makes a 32mm front sway bar, it also allows you to run the crazy modified knuckles without hitting the sway bar. Scroll to the very last page of the install instructions for pictures of how the sway bar is now parallel to the tension rod. http://www.sikky.com/images/pdf/1285...on%20Guide.pdf

I was wondering if anyone has this installed on their car and can confirm that it will work with a Nismo power brace? If no one can confirm I will just call up Sikky and ask, but figured someone on here has this sway bar and could give some input.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #2983
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

GripTerror is an unknown quantity at this point
tanabe just as thick almost, very very light = prosper
GripTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 AM   #2984
thefro526
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
thefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of lightthefro526 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripTerror View Post
tanabe just as thick almost, very very light = prosper
I'd lean towards the Sikky just because it's been designed with two things in mind:

1) Excessive Steering Angle.

2) Clearing non-KA/SR Oil pans. I've got a 1J in my car and there's no way to run a normal S-Chassis Sway Bar without hitting the Oil Pan.
thefro526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #2985
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

apparently the sikky one is heavy like an anchor
Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #2986
KA240SX808
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
KA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enoughKA240SX808 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KA240SX808 Send a message via MSN to KA240SX808
The old ones were cause they were solid. Now I believe the 32mm are hollows. (Something to take the place that Largus left open)
* PigNose SMIC Grille/Vent P# 62697-44F00 *
LMK What you guys got
KA240SX808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #2987
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

can you confirm that? i thought they were still solid
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #2988
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
^ hollow as fuck

Tanabe USA Inc. - Sustec Stabilizer
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #2989
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

i know the tanabe is hollow... i have one... but can anyone actually confirm directly from sikky that it is in fact hollow now and no longer solid
Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #2990
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nissan S13 Front Sway BarSuspension

Also hollow as fuck

"32mm tubular sway bar"
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #2991
onehundredoctane
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
onehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfectiononehundredoctane is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just got off the phone with Sikky, here's what I got. Their's is hollow, made of steel and will clear the Nismo power brace. I can see an argument for materials where the Tanable would be stronger since it is made of chromemoly.
onehundredoctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:12 AM   #2992
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

so tell sikky next version to make a chromoly version haha
Old 07-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #2993
ManoNegra
Guild of Skullduggerous Intent

Trader Rating: (48)
ManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfectionManoNegra is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ManoNegra
It's not about how light or hollow
it's about stiffness

most of the people I know that track their cars
swear by Progress sway bars
so that's what I'll be trying
ManoNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #2994
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoNegra View Post
It's not about how light or hollow
it's about stiffness

most of the people I know that track their cars
swear by Progress sway bars
so that's what I'll be trying
I track my car and want as light of a swaybar as possible. Why bother trying to reduce weight on your car to hang a huge heavy sway bar out front that offers no extra stiffness over a hollow bar of just slightly larger outer diameter?
Old 07-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #2995
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
I track my car and want as light of a swaybar as possible. Why bother trying to reduce weight on your car to hang a huge heavy sway bar out front that offers no extra stiffness over a hollow bar of just slightly larger outer diameter?
I'm almost to the point of selling my Whitelines and going with Hollow ones myself. Can't say I had any issue, but they are are pretty heavy!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #2996
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def View Post
This and if you haven't held a tanabe swaybar you wouldn't know what I'm talking about. It's literally feather weight and if i recall honestly felt lighter than the stock garbage... so yeah...
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #2997
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
You will gain more from lightening unsprung weight on your car.

What wheels are you running? Light wheels along with aluminum bodied coilovers would help quite a bit.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #2998
Def
Post Whore!

Def is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfectionDef is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
You will gain more from lightening unsprung weight on your car.

What wheels are you running? Light wheels along with aluminum bodied coilovers would help quite a bit.
I run RPF1's, they don't get much lighter than that. Not only that, my DefSport brakes drop almost 20 lbs off a set of Z32 brakes up front.

You get the most out of making your car as light as possible everywhere.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #2999
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Ummmm, isn't 32mm freakin' HUGE? What rear bar are you going to pair that with so you don't understeer? Tanabe's are 30.4 front and 27.5 rear.

I guess you could change your spring rates up to accommodate the differing bars.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #3000
GripTerror
Zilvia Addict

sikky will be coming out with their own rears at well at 28mm and they are designed for dual exhaust setup (two hoops)