View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #10
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC View Post
Thanks for that advise Kingtal0n, I will start doing that. As of now I have stripped the weatherstripping off of the fiberglass trim and am prepping it for paint (have a few cracks in the trim to JB weld and sand down). As with the weatherstripping, it is very old and has shrunk to leave about a 1 inch gap on the rear side where the 2 ends join. Should I leave the gap as is when I reassemble or fill the gap with permatex?

I thought that gap was supposed to be there lol

they all have it. I'm pretty sure water is intended to flow into that area and down the sides, there are some kinda tubes in there to carry it out.
Whether the gap is normal or not, water still goes in.

I think they did this because theres no way to create a perfect seal all the way around. They probably figured it was better to assume the sunroof would always be leaking, and to give the water a place to go.

The thing is they forgot about residual liquid which gradually turns to vapor (gas state) that gets trapped between the glass and cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman View Post
The sunroof seal is still available from Nissan and not too expensive. I have one sitting in my basement but I'm very nervous to remove my uncracked fiberglass trim. I'm surprised no one has made new trim pieces, especially with 3D printers.
I too have an un-used brand new seal. However upon reading the instructions to replace the seal, I felt like it would be easier to just buy a whole new car lol.
I even took it to a guy who I know regularly paints and body work, show quality cars. Hes done over 20 (twenty) 240sx cars that I know of, engine bay and body work paint clear gorgeous.

he wouldn't change it either, wanted nothing to do with that seal.

Sooo.... Everywhere the top portion of the seal was damaged, I 'glued' (Permatex grey or black) a new strip of plastic material down.
Been fine since (3 years ago) not a drip. The material I used actually came from the wheel well plastic cover (tire 'dust' shield plastic) rofl
Kingtal0n is offline   Reply With Quote