View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #59
Dolph_KYAS13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Dolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond reputeDolph_KYAS13 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramonesfreak2010 View Post
Car is perfect. I hope you polish that manifold one day!
Thanks, The manifold was polished. Ill likely get it powdercoated black someday.

Hokey So. Last year I thought it would be an awesome idea to do a wire tuck on my chassis harness and started racing against the clock to get it done whist the car was at my friends shop. Long story short I ran out of time, got discouraged and left the car looking like this:

Awesome.

Having ZERO automotive wiring knowledge meant I had no idea where to begin. Eventually I knew it had to be completed and I am too cheap to take it to a shop to complete it so I had to do it myself.

So naturally I started with something completely different. My remote battery terminals. I have relocated my battery to behind the passenger seat. With the 4 pt (soon the be 5pt) cage in the back, having seats back there is completely useless.

Enter the rear seat delete (mockup)

Streetcar > Budget wannabe racecar. I hate the stripped out caged look so I took it upon myself to make a rear "shelf" / Storage unit for the back. My Del Sol has little lock boxes so no one thieves your stuff when the roof is off and I thought something similar would work well in the R32. I am undecided on what material to make this from. Plywood was cheap and serves as a great material for mocking everything up.

The intention is to use FC RX-7 Storage bins; One for the battery and the other to store a small emergency toolkit. Similar to this:

Back to the remote terminals. Relocating the battery to what is essentially the middle of the car would make accessing the battery a pain. I machined out a bracket to utilize the mounting points for the rear wiper (which was deleted)

and ran the battery leads to the passenger side rear seat.

Oh and if you're planning on doing any extensive wiring, do yourself a favour and get one of these:

You can adjust the tension and they cut perfectly smooth. No more sharp jagged zipties. your hands and arms will thank you later.

Back to the task at hand. I slowly started making sense of the wiring harness, the online diagrams were terrible and super pixelated. By breaking it down into smaller sections everything became manageable.

being Garage/ Shopless meant working outside.

Many of the components that were located on the firewall were relocated behind the centre stack. Heres the wiper regulator and stock boost gauge sensor.

All electrical systems go! (First time in oh.... 4 years)

I put my interior back together as all that is left is to wire up the gauges. The plan is it have a fused terminal block for constant and switched power to allow me to easily add accessories in the future. Yesterday was a holiday so I couldnt go out and buy the components I needed.

Im so stoked that this is behind me. It was such a huge hurdle but didnt end out being that difficult.

My catch can should be done this week. The parts have been laser cut and just need to be bent and welded up. Hopefully Ill be adding fluids this week and starting it up in the near future.