View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 07:38 AM   #97
Esserz
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Esserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the roughEsserz is a jewel in the rough
Finally had time to do some more driving, I just got back from completing One Lap of America with Toyota (in a Prius lol). My LS3 engine currently has 700 miles on it, and is on the third oil change. I have been taking special care to break in this crate engine:

Initial oil used wen I fired it up was the BR30 Gibbs break in oil
First oil change was at 100 miles using a second change of the break in oil
Second oil change at 300 miles using conventional valvoline oil
Next oil change will be at 1,000 miles and switching over to full synthetic

I did do some break in drives varying the load and rpm, but definitely did not go easy on it. Based upon some research iv'e done, it's best to get the engine up to operating temp and then try to load up the rings quickly to help them seat.

This last oil change I did a full weekend of auto-x, and it was a blast. This was the first outing for the FD, and I was able to place in the top 5 for the weekend. This was even on street tires (200tw RE71), while three others in the top 5 were on slicks. I was super happy with how the car performed.

I picked up a set of RPF1's for track and auto-x duty. They saved me 8 lbs a corner over the XXR's that were on it, you can really feel the weight difference in the car

The first morning on Saturday was a hard rain, but quickly cleared up and the rest of the day was dry.

I went out and did some shake down runs first thing, the tires grip extremely well for being a tiny 255 square setup. I am able to dead hook 2nd gear which was not possible previously. The tein suspension did surprisingly well. With some tweaks to the shocks it was handling predictably.

The second day there was a lot more competition, and the weather was a bit hotter than the previous. On my last run the RE71's did start to get a little greasy and spin a bit. These tires definitely need to be cooled down between runs. Despite being a small auto-x track I was able to hit 70mph (top of second).

I was super impressed with the car's practicality so far, I drove to the event (1.5 hours away) and honestly was not sure how it would do being the first long drive I have taken in the car since completing the build. It rained on the way there and on the way home, but the car made the journey no problem. Ride comfort on the road is not too bad either, and exhaust does not drone. My passenger could have slept if he wanted to lol.

Next auto-x is on the schedule! and hopefully going to try and get some track days at NCM scheduled as well.