Old 07-06-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
Mikester
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Mikester is a well-known jackass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffed Dub View Post
j

i have not besides some lucas injector cleaner which seemed like it helped until i ran through that tank of gas. im planning on changing plugs tomorrow

doing timing and plugs tomorrow. it only happens once the engine starts getting hot anf right before it builds boost it just starts crackling and popping. it could only do that if its getting too much fuel. if the timing and plugs dont fix it i guess i could get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator? would an old FPR cause too much fuel pressure once warm? hopefully i get it sorted tomorrow. really hopeful on the timing being off

The fact that it ran pretty well through the tank of gas that had the injector cleaner in it, then went right back on the fritz with fresh fuel is why I suspect the plugs went bad. This happened to me a more than twice until I made the association and stopped using fuel additives altogether. You may be getting the right amount of fuel with insufficient spark. Hopefully plugs will fix it without having to fiddle with timing.

An adjustable FPR is a good thing to have once you start getting ready to tune, but not a necessity for a relatively stock setup. If you do add one, recommend that you have a pressure gauge & wideband handy, to make sure it is getting the right amount of fuel throughout your rpm/boost range.

Mike