View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM   #625
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
You realistically think good condition 240s prices are naturally going up? My main motivation to ask is to gauge a point when I can start considering my S14 as an investment.
I do think good-condition 240s are going up. Once I get out of the startup doldrums, I'm going to buy a few of the best S-chassis I can find for preservation and build purposes.

Your S14 will never be an investment, though. Investments are cars that make you money. I'm obviously counting out a super-low-mile S-chassis that some guy bought as his first car out of grad school and you happen to have its doppelganger and now that he has some real money and is tired of waiting to match that experience so he's willing to spend $30k buying the closest analog he can find.

Until you get into the world of collector cars, and I mean real collector cars like low-production Ferraris and six-figure movers and shakers, not what Hagerty says are "affordable collector cars you should buy right now," your cars aren't going to make you money. All the collector cars owned by collectors mean nothing because throwing $250k at a 911S when your other investments are seven or eight digits with double-digit returns means you're just playing with a portion of those returns.

All you have to do is run the math- $10k at 7% is $19,671.51 at the end of ten years. In 2029, your S14 may be worth that much- but you'll have paid $500-700 per year for insurance, you'll have done yearly oil changes, you'll have done brake flushes and replaced tires at least once. In addition, your purchasing power per dollar will have gone down- your 2019 dollar will be worth around $0.77 assuming 1.77% average inflation.

Never futz around in the S-chassis world thinking you're going to make money. Futz around because it's fun and because the cars are solid.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote