View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #188
jamanrr
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
jamanrr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Okay so this morning I woke up and decided to check the harness grounds. I printed out the ECU pinout and checked to see how much resistance there was between the chassis and each of the possible ground wires (2 ECU grounds, 3 injector grounds, 2 sensor grounds, 2 or 3 ignition grounds, etc etc).

So, first I unplugged the harness from the ECU, and checked a few, then I plugged it back in, and checked them all again by "back-probing" the pins in the blue plastic plug....

Anyway, all ground were exactly 0 Ohms.

So, I fire up the car, and go out for a drive.....well I drive the car for 45 minutes, and VOILA, PROBLEM GONE.....I revved the car out to redline at least 15 or so times with not a single hiccup at all.

Then I took it out tonight again for over an hour and again, not a single problem.

This is SO FUCKING WEIRD......I can't imagine that it was bad contact of an ECU pin, because I have unplugged the ECU from the harness at least 10 times in the past 2 months during this troubleshooting adventure.

Furthermore, when the problem started, I hadn't touched the ECU for a reallly long time.

Lastly, I should add that during the drives, the ECU was out in the open, not inside the kickplate.....

It seems obvious that this is either a bad connection somewhere, or still possibly the ECU.....maybe the ECU didn't get as hot today because I didn't have it covered by the plastic kickplate?

I am COMPLETELY befuddled on this one.........but also kinda happy that I was able to drive my car again (well, actually being able to rev over 4K) for the first time in like 5 weeks.

I wish I could know what the issue was so that I could feel like I resolved the issue and maybe help out others in the future....but for now, problem solved, but NOT sure why.....

are you connections soldered or crimped? You know I had a similar problem on a Honda I owned once. It would do the same thing. Sometimes the wiring strands will stray out like one wire and make contact with another wire in the loom. Grounding out and causing an on again off again problem. Remember however unlikely you think the repair that fixes the problem is -- it has to be the solution. Sounds like you are getting there.
jamanrr is offline   Reply With Quote