View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #396
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future240 View Post
I would like to see the numbers on this to see if it is far less expensive like he says
His argument is California is forcing a 54mpg CAFE compared to the EPA's plan for 30mpg.

To achieve 54mpg fleet, makers are going to be forced to cram expensive hybrid/EV tech into every car, expensive materials to reduce weight and cut every non-madated safety system to meet these thresholds.

A Chevy Tahoe is safer then a Honda Fit. There is just no way around those physics.

Cars that do match great mileage and great safety are also extremely expensive, like a Tesla S or many luxury European cars.

EPA and FMVS have absolutely pushed up the price of New Cars.

A 60's loaded top engine Muscle car was $20k adjusted for inflation. A pedestrian Nova or Falcon barely $12k. With advancements in production I bet these cars would cost 2/3s of that today.

My Wife's 2015 Volkswagen Polo (Rus), manual, turbo, front airbags, ABS was only $9,950 new.

Build, Size, Interior and Safety are on par with a MKIV Jetta. Cheapest American Volkswagen is $19k, twice the price.

Who wouldn't buy a new S15 for $16k or R32 GTR for $25k? I assure you they are not melting the ice caps and murdering childern on the highways.