View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #1
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
Valve cover key holder...thing.

Hey guys, I did this awhile ago for a fellow Zilvian, just for fun. I liked how it came out so I figured I'd post up some pictures of it.

He had a spare DE valve cover sitting around that was a little rough, so I decided to make it a nice wall hanger for him to hang his keys off of. I didn't want to modify it for that sole purpose, just in case plans change for the part and someone decided to use it in the future.

Here it was when I got it. Not the worst, not the best.

Used some aircraft stripper and some elbow grease to get everything off it..

Threw it in the mix when I was priming something else (I don't have a picture of it, but I did etch prime it before I sprayed the surfacer)

Blurry photo, but this was the beginning of wet-sanding the whole thing..

After wet-sanding, polished the letters at this point, just so I'm not fighting every layer later on for the final polish..

The cover sat around for awhile before I had the energy to bring it in the booth and lay down some paint. Forgot the exact code, it came off a mazda, 2-3 coats of base, 2-3 coats of clear. Came out pretty good, only 2 dirt nibs that I could find, which buffed out later on..

The next day, came in a masked it all off to do the final polish of the letters. I think I went to either 3000 or 5000 grit

Starting to take shape..

Final product. Just bought some basic bolts and polished them up. This way if someone ever decides to use it, nothing will have to change. Threads were a little long, but a few minutes on the grinder and everything was gravy.

Again, this was just for fun, hopefully you guys like it