View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 09:19 PM   #46
Apex Eight
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Apex Eight is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooopreme View Post
As much as I love Fortune Auto (I've owned three of their coilovers, I now only own one), they aren't close to my Yellow Sports and S-Techs. AND I don't even have a ton of travel.

I use my Fortunes for drifting and like other coilovers I've tried/owned, they get the job done but leave a lot to be desired once you've tried Koni and Bilstein.

If you just want something to put your car low and have adjustable rebound, go with Fortunes. But if you want to make the most of your suspension, Koni or Bilstein or Ohlin or Penske. Are Koni's/Bilstein's worth the effort in labor and research, absolutely.

If you or your machinist/welder are competent, cutting and extending is a breeze. Once you gut the housings, use a pipe cutter to get a straight line and cut a section off the top, cut near the bottom of the housings and use previous cut portion to extend the bottoms. If space permits it, you could even get a spacer that goes below the strut that allows you to mount the bolt/nut on the housings even further down.

Here's a fun fact: if you can get custom housings for 8610's, you can go with Yellow Sport Eclipse rears, they're adjustable and fit S13 rears.
Gotcha. Thanks for sharing your experience man, I really appreciate it.

I don't plan on drifiting, just autocross, and maybe some occasional track days but that is far far into the future. To save money, I might just do what you did and forgo the GC setup and just get some springs. Height-adjustability is not that big of a thing for me. I definitely do not plan on slamming my S13, I just want to reduce the gaping space between the fenders and tires.

What are some good spring choices to match with the yellows? I've read that progressive springs are to be avoided and that linear is the way to go.

Aside from the four Koni sports, a set of springs, and my stock housings, is there anything else I should look into to complete the setup and installation?
Apex Eight is offline   Reply With Quote