Thread: Motor Oil Tests
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #7
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I thought I would share this.... Looks a bit subjective and a bit reading from the bottle, but there are some tests that you can't refute..... Pretty cool stuff... I thought it was pretty informative.....

I use Redline or Amsoil Signature in my race motor and love it.... Royal purple in my daily....

What do you use?
EDITED FOR CLARITY:

I do like this guy's testing and his honesty. He recognizes that the wear scar test is not indicative of a hydrodynamic wedge condition like engine's operate under. I definitely like that he cooked the oil, as that seemed to separate out a lot of good oils from basic ones.

The problem with the testing is that none of them take into account shear, which is a very large factor in a hydrodynamic wedge environment. Would it have changed the results? Maybe, but probably not much IMO.

I would like to point out that Amsoil is the only oil in this test that is confirmed to contain a majority of Group V Ester base stock. Some of the other oils have some, but are majority PAO or heavily hydrocracked Group III. I think this is significant. Redline had revised their safety data sheets to the point where it is unclear what percentage they use. Also higher end Motul uses Ester base stocks, but that wasn't tested. Motul and Redline both have some of the highest HTHS (High-temperature high-sheer) viscosities (at around 4.4), which mean they should do a better job not breaking down under hydrodynamic sheering. I'm not sure this has been directly compared via used oil analysis to other oils.

It's also very hard to tell how engine oil is performing without long term testing in an engine over multiple oil change intervals. Additives like zinc and moly only adhere to metal over a certain temperature and form a high-pressure anti-wear layer that is sacrificial in nature. Even with long-term testing, it's hard to identify actual wear, as many oils perform admirably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
I DO believe amsoil is a great oil, but my problem is they seem to formulate things for stupid drain intervals, where I'd prefer maximum performance with an additive package that doesn't have to make trade-offs (according to my understanding, anyway) for freaken' million mile changes.
Their racing oils are more geared toward what you're looking for, but why don't you want long oil change intervals? These guys that change synthetic oil every 3000 miles or after every race are crazy IMHO. One of the biggest benefits of synthetic oil is it's oil change interval extension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
I would also like to add their GL4 Transaxle Transmission Oil is the best as well. Improved cold shifting and notchiness to any transmission. I tested over cheap gear oil, shitty royal purple (never use it!), also redline shockproof and 1 other redline product....

There was a real big thread on zilvia about it a long time ago and a lot of people tried and agreed.
Yeah, the only issue I have with that is that they all have been reformulated since then. Redline now has super-lightweight shockproof, and I would love to see that tested. I know my KA transmission was a big fan of pure lightweight shockproof, but most people are afraid to run something like that. I know Motul gear oil has a fantastic reputation as well.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 01-21-2020 at 09:15 AM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote