View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #56
Super_OK_S13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
Super_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud ofSuper_OK_S13 has much to be proud of
Once again, Its been a couple months since an update...

To kick off 2015!!

At the end of November I registered for the Rod/Custom/Tuner Show at Motorama 2015 in Harrisburg, PA. If you've never been to it, it has ALL kinds of stuff going on over 2 days. Supercross style racing with bikes and quads ranging from small 50cc to large size 700cc in all age ranges. go-kart racing, micro wingless sprints, 1/10th and 1/8th scale off road RC racing, Robot Wars, and a bunch of friends hook up and have a big RC Drift Demo/Fun Comp setup somewhere in the venue. Plus a Shitload of vendors and Advertisers for different racing venues from all over.

Anyway, My car was "accepted" to be there in the car show portion. So I started prepping the car/cleaning it up/acquiring some new parts.

I started by giving the interior a re-fresh and covering the door cards and glovebox.

Start by using a razor blade and cutting the black skin off the door showing the hardboard shell..
DSC_0091 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

Tools of choice.
DSC_0092 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

under the vinyl skin is a foam skin that needs to come off. most of it pulls off but some sections needed to be scraped and loosened up easily/scraped off.
DSC_0090 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0099 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

the tops of my skins were pulling away from the door shell, so the next step is taping off around the door.
DSC_0100 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

I cut up some plastic on account of overspray.
DSC_0102 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

I sprayed under the top section and let it setup for a bit and finished taping the plastic..
DSC_0104 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

trimmed the fabric a little bit extra to tuck into the groove.
DSC_0107 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

this is the spray glue I chose, as it says its good for head liners. I guess that means it should be ok for a little heat..
DSC_0109 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

spray both the shell and the back side of the fabric and let it setup for a couple minutes.
DSC_0112 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0113 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

next I laid the fabric on and pressed the fabric into the contours with the back of the screwdriver and tucked it into the groove as tight as I could with the tip.
DSC_0108 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

after its all tucked in I started on the other panel to let the glue cure. once I got done with the second panel I started cutting the excess fabric off with the exact-o knife.
DSC_0118 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0116 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0120 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

as you cut I recommend tucking the fabric also. it will hide the edge of the fabric.
DSC_0121 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

here you can kinda see the back of the fabric.
DSC_0122 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

since most of the fabric/craft stores in my area have idiots working at them they didn't know what the black plastic vinyl piping was and I couldn't find it myself, sooooo. I found that black Para-cord worked, so that's what I stuffed into the groove to hide the edges of the fabric. no glue was used in doing this, just stuff it in there.
DSC_0135 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0133 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0137 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

I ended up using leftover fabric to make a shift boot.. had to hand sew it since we don't have a machine and my sister wasn't home to do it with hers.
DSC_0080 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0082 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0085 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

I don't have much on the glovebox but the same concept applies as far as taking the old stuff off, making sure to cut the piece is big enough to wrap around to the backside. it also needs notched and cut around the lock/handle holes carefully.
DSC_0086 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

DSC_0087 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

after the interior was all but done I started on some of the engine bay parts, cleaning them up for paint.
DSC_0089 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

obiously not the maf but the other parts were glass beaded before new paint...
DSC_0098 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

Bought a couple cool stickers for my garage door =)
CSC_0071 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

CSC_0073 by super_ok_s13, on Flickr

I decided it was time to add some color to the engine bay and started with the valve cover as there was waaay to much black and silver. it just looked monotonous and plain..

I will post later tonight with the rest of the update...

Last edited by Super_OK_S13; 10-27-2015 at 10:00 AM..
Super_OK_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote