View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 08:14 PM   #118
JBB
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
JBB is an unknown quantity at this point
Its been a while
I was super disheartened with the whole broken flywheel bolt situation. Mainly because I dealt with a broken bolt in the cylinder head before and when I tried to extract it, the extractor broke off and it caused a trip to the machine shop with a decent bill for the work.

Anyways, I had been part of an 80 person layoff Oct. 10th and had a some free time while trying to look for a new job. My friend helped remove the flywheel and 1 of the 2 broken bolts was sticking out enough for us to grab it with some pliers and work it out

The 2nd one, unfortunately, was even with the crank and we weren't able to wiggle it out. My buddy punched it as close to center as he could (there was a bur on the bolt and I didn't have anything small enough to sand it off) and started to drill on it but my drill batteries were dead.

The next day, after charging all night, I got to work on the broken bolt. I was using left handed drill bits starting with the smallest sizes that I had and working up, hoping that they would eventually "bite" and start to twist it out. No luck.

The hole that I was drilling was getting pretty large and I ran a 10/32 tap through it real quick and toyed with the idea of jbwelding or threadlocking a bolt inside of it and loosening it that way. I was about to give up for the day and decided to tap a rather large extractor in and twist it with a crescent wrench. Sure enough, the large size of the extractor must have provided enough grab and torque to move the bolt and it came right out.

Later that week, I got a hand from my friend again. We threw the tranny dust shield on, got the flywheel torqued back down with the ARP bolts, torqued on the clutch, and bolted up the transmission and starter.

Not much left before putting the engine in the car actually. I bought an AC adapter kit from enjuku 2 years ago and went to bolt it up -- it did not line up at all. I dont know if they sent me the blacktop adapter plates or what but this is the second thing Ive bought from them that hasnt fit so I am officially done doing business with them.
(If you recall earlier in my thread, I purchased a circuit sports turbo elbow from them and the mounting holes were way off. I inquired about sending it back for some kind of credit towards a new elbow and they said that they would look into it and get back to me -- they never did.)

I have now ordered a Cody Ace adapter kit and it should be here by Friday. After thats on I should be ready to install. Then I just need to do my harness and some odds and ends (battery relocate, fuel pump install, intercooler piping holes cut).

I dont recall posting this but I got a carbon fiber coil pack cover and a gold oil cap with a fake carbon fiber sticker on it lol. I still need to make it to the powder coater for my valve cover but I am a little broke at the moment. More updates soon, hopefully!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote