View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 09:03 PM   #96
tb13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
tb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to beholdtb13 is a splendid one to behold
Okay, so some progress has been made since the SR committed seppuku.

Engines came out of both cars and I started tearing down the knocking SR. Found even more bearing material in the pan, but other than that everything looks really good.

Wiggled the rods around and #2 wasn't having it so I pulled the cap to find this wonderful sight under it. Bearing is torn apart almost to the shell, but was not spun and the crank looks okay. Engine had great oil pressure and fresh VR1 in it, I'm sure I this saved it from completely killing itself. Looked into the markings on the bearings, they are eBay special trash someone must have slapped into the engine.

The HKS turbo went out for a rebuild to get all of the bearing material out of it. Local friend took care of the rebuild and was able to get a slightly bigger wheel stuffed into it while it was apart. While it was apart we figured out its some odd sized GT25, not sure what its going to be capable of, but seeing it make 230whp on 8psi gives me hope it will be able to make mid 300's with the boost turned up and the new wheel.

Before the turbo setup went back on I wanted to address the hardware and wastegate. Ordered some nice studs and copper locking washers to hopefully keep the gaskets intact. Also picked up a PBM cobra downpipe to have a flex section in the exhaust.

Original wastegate wasn't going to cut it for this engine, was planning to just order a 1 bar Garrett replacement, but this compressor housing mounting points are different from T28. Ended up going with a Tial 12psi IWG actuator and adjustable mount from ATP. Seems like it'll do the trick after I remove a bit of material from one of the ears on the compressor housing.

Cleaned the lower pan in the parts washer and made sure to get all of the junk out of it. Threw the Z's engine up on the hoist and swapped the pans. I hate leaving an engine swaying away, but I was too lazy to pull the clutch and put it on a stand. Engine is pretty much ready to go back in the car, hoping this next weekend it'll be in place!

Since I can't find anyone to buy the RG's, I figured I'd get some smaller tires on them and run them. Found some tires cheap on closeout through work and snagged a set. Moved from a 265/35 to a 235/40, fitment is way better, need to work out front fitment a bit still though because I'm hitting the firewall at partial lock. Thinking it has something to do with these GKTech RCC blocks pushing the bottom of the wheel out way too far.

Car looks goofy as hell with the front so high and no kit. I actually sold the kit that was on the car and ordered some new hotness that should show up in the next few months!