View Single Post
Old 02-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #72
buentellomma
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
buentellomma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsdude View Post
with respect to primer, i was planning to wait a few days for the primer to properly cure and shrink before doing color (found this tip on one of the auto body forums).

so should i go with a regular 2k primer or the thicker primer to help fill the low spots? i want to use as little filler as possible.
2k primer with about 2-3 coats. you dont want the primer to be thick because when you base and clear it you will be able to see where the primer is under the paint due to the thickness. primer is not designed for filling low spots, when you sanding your bodyfiller, dust some rattle can black on the filler and sand. this will find your low spots and deep scratches. to reduce swelling of sand scratches, use this method( use 36grit to level the filler to the surface, then use 80 grit to finish shaping. apply another thin coat of filler over the area and use 80grit to level it and finish up with 180grit. 180grit or finer is less likely to swell) after priming if you allow it to cure 2-3 days the primer will be good to go. to use less filler you will have to metal work it to its almost perfect. your filler should never be more than 1/4inch thick
buentellomma is offline   Reply With Quote