View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantwo3 View Post
this would be a very good thread to build onto since i had the same questions and couldnt find any answers too

i ended up buying a rebuilt rack for $100 from a mom and pop rebuild shop.
it works well and doesnt leak!!!!

i have one issue but i belive it is my fault for i did not position the pinion and the teeth where off but other than that alls good
Well, you've gotta center the rack before you install it. Far too many people, even "professional" mechanics, screw that up. To do that all you need is a sharpie and a set of channel-locks. Turn the rack all the way to full lock in one direction. On the 240's you need the inner tie rods installed since they are what actually stops the rack. Mark the splined shaft and the housing so the marks align when at full lock in that direction. Then you turn the rack all the way to full lock in the other direction and mark the housing again to align with the mark you already made on the splined shaft. Steering racks are almost always an awkward number of turns, so this is where it gets complicated. Now you've gotta split the difference between the two marks you made at full lock in either direction. Once you split that then you've gotta split the difference in overall turns. Once you install the rack you have to check and make sure it is centered. Do this by turning the steering wheel from lock to lock. The wheel should be in the same position, on the opposite side, when locked in either direction. I don't tighten the steering joint untill I've got the rack and wheel centered as it usually takes a try or two to get it right. From my experience 240's are never 100000000% centered, there's always a very small difference from side to side.

As for rebuilding your own rack, I'm an ASE certified master tech and even I wouldn't bother. It's really pretty simple, other than setting the pre-load on the rack gear. BUT it's always nice to be able to take it back and have it fixed if it's not right. Also finding the seal kits isn't easy since almost nobody does their own re-building anymore. Really getting a rack re-built is pretty cheap, around $100 without inner tie rods and boots, around $120-$150 with the inner tie rod ends and the bellows boots.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote