View Single Post
Old 08-24-2023, 06:37 PM   #89
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by thermogod View Post
i cut the flange off, it's pretty clear you're just supposed to cut the fender here. so i guess i need to make the choice.
There were a couple options you could've taken, but in your situation I would've done the same thing.

From this point, you'll have to fabricate a new flange considering the old one was so warped. But expect a pretty drawn out process to get back to something decent.

You can either buy a sheet of fiberglass to use, or make your own; you'll then cut it to shape, similar to the old piece.

Sand both the inside and out of the bumper, and front and back of your new flange.

Have your bumper in the final position, then clamp your new flange to the fender where it lines up with the bumper.

Then fiberglass little strips of cloth to bridge the flange to the bumper and maintain the shape. Try to maintain a little bit of a gap from the flange to the fender arch, which I'll explain in a bit.

When the strips have set, remove the bumper and fiberglass the inside with whatever reinforcement/layers you feel necessary. This will build up the thickness where it wraps around the fender, hence my suggestion to allow a gap when clamping the piece.

With the inside fiberglass and reinforced, you can buzz the outside corner down and use fiberglass filler (kitty hair), or more fiberglass mat.