View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 02:45 AM   #50
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I've got $100 that says I can upgrade any Nissan SR or RB to run LS coils with a stock computer, and I'd also be willing to bet they'd outperform new Nissan coils, Splitfire coils or whatever else the JDM aftermarket has. There are reports on LS1tech of people using stock coils on cars well into the 8's, and everyone faster than that (Pro-stock) uses distributors and huge external coils.

The LQ9 (6.0L Vortec truck motor) coilpacks are seen as the 'best', you'll notice they have a heat sink on the back. Next best are LS2/LS7 "Melco" coilpacks made by Mistubishi Electronics, and lastly the LS1 coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
But again, can our ECU's support them without issue?

I have been using an ignition amp for quite some time now, to get past some of my spark issues.

If I woulda known the GM packs worked without issue, I woulda just went with that.

Now for the 2nd (and probably simple question)...how much amperage draw do they have?

-CA
Hybrid Z thread testing the LSx coils: LSx Coil Testing - HybridZ - Page 2

Sweet thread on KA-T here: www.ka-t.org :: View topic - How to run LS1 Coils

And another for CA18s: GM Ignition Swap – (CA18DET) – NICO Club

I was planning on using them on my RB25 because I was having problems with one of the stock coilpacks, and why the hell would you replace the stock coilpacks with new stock ones when you can get arguably the best OEM coilpacks ever for less money?

I believe with the stock computer (no igniter, coils have them built in) you get a dwell time around 1ms, whereas 3-5ms is 'optimal'... still, 1ms is getting PLENTY of spark energy. I don't have the link that shows the testing video (I think it was on youtube) but I'll keep looking - they tested LS1 vs LQ9 coils at all different dwell times and gaps on a 'scope with excellent results at low dwell and high gaps.

When you're asking about amperage, you mean charge current or how much current they draw during operation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z U L8R View Post
being able to gap the plugs at 4" still doesn't warrant running gasoline at 10:1 air fuel ratio's

this is the problem

Dave
Haha, sure, but extra spark energy is never a bad thing. Maintaining spark energy at a higher gap always helps for a more 'complete' burn (the first 50% of the mix burns very quickly/easily compared to the last 50%).

On Conrad Grunewald's LSA Camaro (runs new-style GM coilpacks) during testing we were getting detonation at high-RPM when the IAT's came up past 150*F (never got that hot on the dyno) and added a bunch of fuel at first... A/F's dropped into the high 9's and low 10's, and on 14psi (about 700whp) we were not experiencing blowout at .040" gap. Those are some BEAST coilpacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
LOOOOOOOL That wa spretty good.

However, lets not dismiss the idea in total - upgrading ignition (at these power levels) isn't a bad idea...these are 15 year old coilpacks after all
Exactly.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com

Last edited by GSXRJJordan; 06-02-2010 at 03:27 AM..
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote