View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #75
Wykydtron
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
Wykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really niceWykydtron is just really nice
This update is way over due... Uploading the photos right now and will type everything out on the computer. Watch for the edit.

Edit:

On November 24th I headed out to Evergreen Speedway for the Winter Drift event. The day started out fairly well. While I was driving, I attempting to film video of other drivers but hit a snag when my motor started to die.

While I was drifting the cageless tandem course, my motor suddenly lost all power and fell on its face. I clutched in and it died. It took a few tries to start her back up, but I managed to limp her off the track by blipping the throttle and riding the clutch to prevent it from stalling. I couldn't get my car back into my pit area so I had to work on it in the 5/8ths pocket (bottom of the bank).

My motor wouldn't idle and needed constant throttle to keep it running. My AFR's were roughly 8-9. I could tell there was gas sputtering on the floor behind my muffler. I pulled the spark plugs and found they were covered in soot.

We decided to clean the spark plugs up to see if it would idle. It was still struggling, so I went and bought new plugs. After putting the new plugs in, the motor would idle without me babying the throttle... I was still reading at 9-10 AFR's at idle.

Alex Lindsay was helping me out diagnose the issue, while we were looking at the motor he randomly asked how old my MAF was and if we should try a different sensor. He reached down for the air filter and felt a gaping hole in the top. We found that the top cap of the cone filter popped off and was blocking the MAF sensor completely! After pulling that out of the MAF sensor, the motor was running a lot better. But luck wasn't on our side just yet... The AFR's were still running super rich, but I was able to drift it on the track. While I was going full throttle, as soon as the boost went above 10psi it would go super rich and misfire. My tuner Nathan Shiel mentioned to me that the hole in the intake could be allowing to much air to hit the MAF sensor, causing it to run really rich. He recommended to block it or swap out the filter. I went with the ghetto cardboard, electrical tape, and zipties option...

Needless to say, that didn't solve the issue. The motor was still running rich and bogging down in boost. My half day at the track came to an end, but I was able to drive her back home to further diagnose the issue.

Since it's been a while, I went ahead and changed the disturber cap, rotor, and spark plug wires in hopes that it would help. I event bought a new MAF, which didn't resolve the issue completely. The car was running good, but not top notch.

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wykydtron; 12-04-2018 at 07:15 PM..
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote