View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #52
BenRice
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
BenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura aboutBenRice has a spectacular aura about
So I'll get this up to date. I think it was late last year when i left off.

Well a few mates of mine had been asking to come for rides, so i booked a skidpan day. As usual, most piked and left me negotiating newbs for the day. I ended up finding a couple of guys to do a bit of tandem but was still a waste of a day. A few pics:

And since then i've just done two days but a few improvements.

The first day was a day at Taupo Motorsport Park, but run by the managers of the track. As a result they allowed me to take passengers out but no tandem stuff with passengers in the car. Pretty good of them considering my car only has a bolt-in halfcage, expired harnesses and the passenger seat is a reclinable Recaro.

My mate Mike offered to tow me down in his LS1 powered Holden Commodore ute (i think it's called the Maloo over there), made the hills much easier. He also fabbed up some rad 3.5" twin pipes for me to replace the twin 2.5":

Fills the hole nicely!

The day at Taupo was run over the entire track, using the new section (Track 2) in the morning, running normal direction, then reverse. Reverse is what our competition series runs and I was keen to see how this setup would go as quite a few of our ProAm drivers have issues with the 4-corner section.

Well i did it without any real issues, hammering out 7-8 laps in a row with no spins and baking a pair of new tyres in that time so felt pretty good. In the arvo they run full track normal direction and a dicky handbrake sent me shooting off and i munched my nice, mint front bumper:

That made me angry, so it was out to kill that pair proper and a mate got a bit of footage from behind, coming out of the dipper and up the hill

Then we hitched up and towed home

The rack had started leaking, and i was also keen to get it moved forward. So out came the crossmember. Only trouble was, no engine crane. Cue kiwi ingenuity:

I dropped the crossmember off to Adam @ C's Garage to move the mounts forward, then ordered new poly bushes. Once all done i squished it all back together with a replacement steering rack:

Next it was onto the rear and trying to reduce the camber wear i was getting on compression. I went for PSM subframe risers and sourced GKtech traction arms, but first i picked up a pair of wheels as they were too cheap:

17x9 @ 0 RT5 Chrome (essentially Foose knockoffs but look like chunky VSKF's). Rear camber is -0.5deg so was going to be touch and go, more on that later.

Then out came the subframe and up to Mikes to burn the bushes out

And done

New handbrake shoes were fed into her and then off to get aligned. I also sourced a fresh FK front and got it painted, then the final thing was to add a v-band instead of the rangi (read: pikey) slip on + D-shackle for the new twin pipes:

My mate James then suggested a low-key drift day that was coming up, only thing was it was at our national dragstrip: Meremere. The facility can be hired and the second half of the strip and return road used. However, concrete barriers have been added lately so it's been a bit of a missile-haven sadly. We thought we might as well as the tyre bill wouldnt be huge as we could use all our half worns, and it would be a good chance to get a few of us driving together again.

So the Saturday just been i was up at 5am and on the road for a 3hr tow across the island. A couple of mates helped me sort the brakes (needed bleeding) and i adjusted up the handbrake.

I threw the RT5's on and it was a right laugh. Huge amount of rubbing but left them on and ran them till the tyres died.

I also sold the S14 wing as it didnt look right with big kit, steel guards and only 17's. Have an Origin boot lip coming from Japan to replace it.

More pics are on the Ambition Works FB page.

I also took Shaun (Ambition Works) for a run and he video'ed it and put some of the incar in this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rotMZ6-vJEw

Apologies for the amount of shit heaps in there and lack of 3rd gear, those barriers be unforgiving.

So am now itching for more proper track stuff, but before then I'll be fitting an RB20DET actuator to safely get a couple more psi boost out of her (only at 8-9psi at the moment) and a bit more mid range torque to help with the competition section at Taupo. The backlash in the diff is also a little loose so will need adjusting too.

Then i have a couple of fresh Vertex front and rear bumpers to get painted in preparation for getting her road legal again and drive around for the summer as usual.

Let me know your thoughts guys.
BenRice is offline   Reply With Quote