View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
hanzbrady
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
hanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura abouthanzbrady has a spectacular aura about
There's things that I can do for very cheap that others can do better and quicker for a higher cost.

For example I can build engines, quite well so I will never pay for someone else to assemble one for me.

On the other hand I have a basic grasp of machining and can create small parts but it takes me multiple tries and time, so I would obviously pay someone to machine my block because the fee is worth the convenience and end result.

With this in mind, wouldn't you say it's quite sensical to say "I could bolt a turbo to my KA (insert any NA engine here), custom fab parts, and spend my time which is worth a dollar amount to accomplish my goal of a turbocharged engine that makes more power, or I could invest a bit more money up front and install the factory turbo variant that literally bolts in (in the example an SR20) and be on my merry way.

I'm all for "built not bought" but converting NA variant to turbo is a pain and requires my time, money, tooling, and many other resources and sometimes it just pays to start with a better platform.

Price out going turbo on a NA 2JZ for example first off you HAVE to buy a standalone, the factory ECU can not be flashed that's $2,000 right off the bat, then add a turbo, an ignition system, a transmission to hold the power since the W58 won't hold it for sure and you're well over the cost of a 2JZGTE.