View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 04:25 PM   #656
dizzariot
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (47)
dizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfectiondizzariot is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by soreballz View Post
I don’t really get why so many people are hung up on this “s-chassis are rattle boxes” thing. I’ve driven a few S13s that had solid-mounted-everything and bare interiors, and those cars were certainly rattle boxes. But that wasn’t Nissan’s doing, it was their own. My ex had a bone-stock (minus catback) ‘91 coupe, and it had no annoying rattle issues. My coupe has JGS rubber engine and trans mounts, poly subframe bushings, and solid arms in the rear, no headliner, half a carpet... it was fine. Not as quiet as the ex’s stock car, but still far better than several others I’ve driven. The only time I ever had rattle issues was with a cheap short shifter, which I fixed after about a week, or whenever I had an exhaust setup that hit the body or the subframe.

These aren’t luxury cars. Fix your janky shit, lower your expectations, and if need be, invest in some proper sound deadening.
To be clear, it OBVIOUSLY isn't a deal breaker but the cars are noisy as all fuck.

'93 240SX: Garage kept, all seals are good, only had coilovers/RUCA and 16" wheels. Still loud.

'96 180SX: Possibly garage kept. It has coilovers/RUCA and 17" wheels. I replaced the door seals but I still need to get on the door strikers and those little washers for the door hinges. Besides the fact that I keep the backseat down and have an exhaust, the car makes a fuck ton of noise. Most of it comes from the front end.

'89 Silvia: Possibly garage kept. It has coilovers/RUCA and 16" wheels. Probably needs the door strikers/washers as well. Still makes noise.

All of this was to show that the cars don't have to be 'jank' to make noise man, it's just how they are. I don't think anyone is 'hung up on the fact' but we're grumpy old assholes.