View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #55
dbeiler
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler dbeiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
I've never had a 'fancy' exhaust and the Tomei Ti Expreme looks so awesome...
It's a great piece for the money and definitely the best sounding exhaust I've ever mounted to my RB. I do, however, have a few complaints about mine.

The silencer mounting hardware is a joke. The silencer tip cuts the exhaust exit size down to about 1.5 inches. It really quiets down this loud exhaust but probably at the cost of a great increase in backpressure. The silencer tip is mounted with one, yes, only one freaking screw on the bottom. A few minutes of moderate throttle, the unsecured top side of the silencer was being pushed outward and the silencer was sitting cockeyed in the muffler. Anyone with some intellect would use 2 screws minimum. One on top, one bottom. Even the small silencer for the Yoshimura on my bike uses two screws. It's a minor complaint, easily remedied by adding one (or two) more screws, but it just goes to show Tomei did not put any effort into testing their product. I'm guessing most people just throw the silencer in the trash anyway.

The exhaust coupling springs are uninsulated and will rattle against the exhaust pipe at a certain engine rpm. My bike's Yoshi uses coupling springs also but they have rubber insulators to avoid any metal on metal rattling. I've never understood the purpose of the springs. Again, I'm guessing most people just remove the springs and trash them.

The welds appear to have very poor penetration. I've never welded titanium but I've professionally welded a lot of steel and aluminum. Maybe titanium weld is completely different but to me, the Tomei welds look cold and shallow. Possibly the reason their manifolds are always cracking on the welds. My exhaust hasn't cracked yet, time will tell.

The exhaust tip isn't flared or rolled. It's a gigantic tip with the sharpness of a cookie cutter just waiting to slice open the shins of some unsuspecting person opening the trunk. For this reason, I mounted the tip flush with the back bumper instead of it sticking out slightly like I normally would. That hasn't worked out so great either; the exhaust flameballs are too close to the bumper and now my recently refinished bumper already has damaged clearcoat.

Those minor complaints aside, it's an awesome exhaust system and worth every penny. Would definitely buy again.
dbeiler is offline   Reply With Quote