View Single Post
Old 09-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #15
xpinoyxmk
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
xpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura aboutxpinoyxmk has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzariot View Post
That's part of this mystery: what's encompassed in 'J-Spec' ? I can forsee the headlights and emissions needing to be changed but that's just about it.

Its not necessarily the parts that get expensive, its the tests/inspections that are. I say if you're spending anything over $1k, its not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISR20MO View Post
I don't understand why would you even bring a crosstrek over there? And since you are lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring a car back free of charge you may as well go without. Just buy a sweet 25 year old JDM pimpsled, s-chassis, maybe a cefiro if you need four doors and bring that ass here boy.

Do you know if your warranty is even honored in Japan? I work at a dealership and our NVLW's have stipulations to ensure coverage in mexico and canada in the event you need repairs while motoring out of country, but we were never told anything about warranty coverage across an ocean. I would check on that.

You know how our lights say DOT all over them? They probably have to swap almost every light out on the car's exterior.

Your tires may not even be legal?

Are catalytic converters cheap in Japan?

Brake lines?

They may have to change the fuel tank or at least the fuel filler neck, maybe the charcoal canister to comply?

I can't imagine a scenario where you would NOT be better off buying a car when you get there and bringing it home or selling it when you are done. I am not and have not been in the armed services so I cannot offer insight on the military's side of it. My 2 pennies

You are overthinking it but you do bring up a good point about the warranty. I would definitely check into that!
xpinoyxmk is offline   Reply With Quote