Thread: Dyno faq
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #36
hexdmy

Trader Rating: (0)
hexdmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Thanks for the response....but I am truly interested in my 2nd question....

Can the dyno apply negative and positive load?

Can you hit cells that you would only hit if you were at closed throttle and letting the car decelerate (dyno is applying the power to keep the engine turning, even tho the throttle is closed enough that the car would normally be decelerating)?

Can you hit cells that are in higher boost (i.e. dyno works as a brake.....so you keep builiding boost but the RPMs don't go up)?

j
OEM manufactures use engine dyno's that can do what you are saying, which is to actually motor the engine to simulate deceleration to calibrate those area's. I have not seen a chassis or engine dyno in the aftermarket that can do that. In practice, if I need to calibrate those area's, I can drive the car on the street or decelerate against an inertia dyno. Certainly you cannot do this steady state, so you use your logged information to go back and make changes. As to hitting cells in "higher boost" with a steady state dyno, you can hold the rpm's anywhere you want, therefore you can tune as high in the map as the turbo will spool. In practice, when you are doing calibration work, most tuners will do a combination of power sweeps and steady state to tune a car, not just hold the car in steady state through every cell.

- Chris
hexdmy is offline   Reply With Quote