View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 04:08 AM   #28
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
UPDATE!!

☆ ------------------ ☆ ------------------ ☆

Old firewall looked horrible with all of the holes and humps for climate control system and other accessories. I decided to just scrap it and replace it with nice smooth aluminum.

This won't be much of a street car so the convertible top has no place in this build. Pulled The Entire Assembly out and saved another 80lbs of weight.

I took advantage of the new space to start on the strut tower plates that will support the permanent strut tower bar. They were shaped with some patience and simple hammer and dolly.

Not bad.

I added another strut brace tieing into the dash bar and it's supporting bracing. Finding and cutting the correct hole to slide the tube through was quite difficult.

A local guy posted online that he was selling some 315/30/18 hankook rs2. That was a pretty nice deal to me so I went ahead and picked them up. Too bad I had a brain fart and skipped the 305 size. Oh well I guess I will make them fit.

Now that I created a nice challenge for myself with the huge tires I went ahead and continued to work on the huge hole I have in my engine bay. I designed and got this firewall cut. Flat sheet can be so boring sometimes so I took it over to my buddy Marlon's shop where I borrowed his bead roller and added the nice step up bead.

I went with the simple offset strut mounting plate design in the end. Easy to manufacture and more forgiving when it comes to welding.

Quick mock up of the new firewall, looks so good.

The following day was spent persuading the factory remaining firewall to move back a bit to clear the 18x11's now wrapped in a 315/30. I can now achieve full 55° lock with 1/2" clearance all around.

Firewall is now shaped and fully riveted in place using military spec solid aluminum rivets. First time ever installing these types of rivets and it's pretty fun since it requires teamwork with a second person. In this case it was my girlfriend and my friend Lalo.

☆ ------------------ ☆ ------------------ ☆

FOLLOW FOR UPDATES
Instagram: @StreetFaction
www.facebook.com/streetfactionengineering

ONLINE SHOP: www.streetfaction.net

Last edited by matts13vert; 10-23-2015 at 01:41 PM..
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote