Thread: JGY Customs
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 AM   #4
z1adonis

Trader Rating: (0)
z1adonis is an unknown quantity at this point
JGY (Jason Garret Young) Custom's complete imcompetence!!!

Yes I have been a member since 2005 and yes I don't really post. I am posting this because I want you all to be aware of the neglect for detail at JGY.

The thought of discontinuing the use of service has finally come for me. Every time I have tried dealing with JGY (Jason Garrett Young) has been upsetting. When you are dealing with Jason for the first time, you may be able to get him on the phone. He seems pretty upbeat and knowledgeable as well as interested in getting your business. He agrees with you that your deadline can be met. Ok after the deadline has not been met and past by weeks or parts/built engine has problems that you have received, it is almost impossible to get him on the phone. His front office people, Pam or Scott or whoever working with Pam at that point, tells you that he is either out to lunch or out in the warehouse and you will have to leave a message that they will relay to him. If it is about a delay, you get a number of excuses. Most of the time it will be that a particular part that your order requires is backordered. If everything is place, you motor build fell behind others. Long story short, excuse after excuse creates delays. Honestly I just think Jason is overwhelmed and can’t admit to that he really needs help.

On to my own situation. After numerous delays and missed deadlines, I got my built motor back from JGY more than a month overdue. I don’t know how many of you have received motors from Jason but this is where his incompetence comes into play. Jason will replace head gaskets for you that he believes should not be reused. This is something I actually appreciate because at least I know that I am starting with a new cometic head gasket and he actually returned the old gasket for my own inspection. Of course I found this out when I had to pay my final bill before it was shipped back to me. Like I said, I paid for the build without argument. The big problem is not that Jason will replace $100 head gaskets without discussing it with you first, which again is what I appreciate. The problem is when he uses silicone in places where actual gaskets are used from the factory. This is only the beginning. He even reuses gaskets that should not be used. The gasket on my particular build that I had a problem with is the timing chain tensioner gasket. To give you a better picture of this. I have completed putting my built SR into my ’97 S14. The car is running, new fal fans are working just fine, temps are good. I drive the car down the street to test it. I get it back inside my shop and noticed one small drop of oil. Can’t tell if it is gear oil or motor oil. Look behind the car and even under it as I put it on the lift. No signs other than maybe just a little spilled when filling the tranny. Anyway so I proceed to a mechanic’s shop who is actually a friend of mine and former neighbor when I ran my performance shop. I have to mention my performance shop so that you all know that I very technically inclined and have geared myself up to perform my own builds from now on. Back to my story and on the way to get the AC charged. He is now within 20 minutes of me. I am going to let him recharge my AC. I get to his shop and they are getting ready to charge the AC when one of the mechanics there noticed a puddle of oil under my car. We quickly take a look and notice that it coming from the timing chain tensioner. With a mirror, we can see grey silicone on the back side of the cover for the tensioner. Well we removed it, while maintaining the timing chain position. What we found is that Jason reused the factory metal gasket. The problem lies in the fact that the factory gasket has a rubber ring on it that creates the seal. The rubber ring is completely gone. The evidence looks like Jason only placed literally 2 drops of silicone around the two studs coming from the head. Now I proceed to of course try to call Jason. After a few hours of calls with Pam relaying messages between Jason and myself, Jason’s final answers were that he did not use silicone and that the part was the same as a ’92 SE-R and that I could get it from Nissan. No apologies just stated that he did not use silicone. I am thinking to myself which is worse, lying about not using silicone (only in 2 spots) or the fact that he reused a metal gasket with no rubber seal. After him taking his time putting the motor together he could have spent the less than $10 from Nissan to replace the bad gasket and charge me for it since he decided to replace the $100 cometic head gasket that he did not discuss with me until I got my final bill which I will again say I appreciate his meticulous approach on. Honestly this could have required a lesser experienced tech to have to remove the valve cover and timing chain cover and have to reset timing all over again.

All in all Jason may be good at what he does but cutting corners overshadows your ability and just makes you a simple half-ass. People if you decide to use JGY please make sure that you require Jason to replace all factory gaskets if you have to supply them yourself. If you take a closer look at his work, you will notice that he more times than not will use silicone in place of $5 and $10 factory gaskets. And yes Jason used silicone in place of several other gaskets on this build that are going to be replaced.
z1adonis is offline   Reply With Quote