View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 08:50 PM   #56
Joobie610
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Joobie610 is making a name for him/her selfJoobie610 is making a name for him/her self
So while I was waiting on the paint to dry, I got a few more things done.

I had previously dropped off the manifold to Proximity, who welded on the flange for the Turbosmart Compgate 40, so I dummy fit that up.

Thought I'd pull the turbo apart for an inspection before running the car, as it hadn't been on this setup, and I was worried about the amount of time it had spent sitting. Glad I did.

Not sure how it happened. I thought it was protected well enough where it was. Unless its been in there since the car came from japan, which means I drove this engine and turbo at a matsuri event with all the rust in there. Not sure I want to know.

Ended up using CLR, degreaser, wire brushes, scourers, wire wheels, you name it and I probably used it to clean out all of the rust. It doesn't look good in this photo, but I used some light grit sandpaper to smooth most of it out. Not worried about balancing it. Bush bearings are less prone to vibration issues imo.

Not sure if I've mentioned, but the turbo is a bitsa, with a front housing from a Greddy t517z, oil cooled, god knows what rear. But it works really well, even after the huck job I'd done cleaning the corrosion.

Made up some new turbo oil lines. They're the reverse colours of everything else I've put on the car, but that was all they had in stock, and the black nylon braid probably wouldn't deal with the turbo heat as well.

You can probably tell, but a couple of years ago I had all the old SR brackets sent off for sandblasting and repainting. Kinda wish I'd gone powdercoat, but meh. Used all those parts when reassembling.

Really wish I'd bought more bolts. Going to be replacing them when I change the engine - this ones about to blow - but more on that later.