View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #7
Taylor008
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Taylor008 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had your problem once. Found out my harness shorted by my radiator, kept my car running when I took the key out.

First things first, ground your motor and make sure the ground on the back of your alternator is attached.

The way I found it was disconnecting my ignition switch plug and testing the wires to see where I was getting voltage. Turned out to be my big white alternator wire (should be the same problem as yours). So I knew the short was between my ignition switch and my battery. The harness that runs inside the drivers side fender (check that too). I cut that in half to determine if the short was either in the engine bay, or if it was underneath my dash in that mess of wires. Then soldered and shrink wrapped it back together, worked on the side that I needed to. This is how I find shorts. Pain in the ass, but it works.

Replace ignition switch first. Go from easiest to hardest.

Oh and for your ECU, just look and see if the light is on with key on/engine on. Does your fuel pump prime? If yes, then your ecu is working. If it still isn't started, start checking spark and fuel. Diagnose your ignition issue first.
Taylor008 is offline   Reply With Quote