View Single Post
Old 08-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Kingtal0n
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
Kingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond reputeKingtal0n has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kingtal0n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsmguy1993 View Post
Okay guys I wanna run this by you I just picked up a red top sr20det with a spun bearing I dropped the oil pan and there were metal shavings and a torn rod bearing in there.
As soon as I find metal the block is trash to me, doesn't matter what engine block (LS, 2J, SR, 4G, RB). The only way I would even consider using it is if that was the last block available and I desperately needed to build something. Like an original RB26 and it was my last block... they are expensive and I might consider trying to save it. But I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on parts for it just yet- rebuild it stock first put some mileage on it. 50k maybe you know drive it around everywhere. Then pull it apart and see how it did. Re-check everything. It shouldn't wear much if at all if assembled properly and clean enough. Looks good? then use it for a massive $$$ build after that.

You'll probably make a mistake on the first one which takes the engine out completely that has nothing to do with metal debris, but its still nice to have a failure and not say "Hmm I wonder if it was MY fault, or the previous failure that contributed" Because then you don't know if you did something wrong or not, you may repeat the mistake.