View Single Post
Old 04-27-2019, 08:22 AM   #7703
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFTER-M View Post
Rebuilding my s14 for the second time in the last 14 years. I am considering angle kits and am aware of the brands and the basics, though admittedly some of the nuances of this thread have left me a bit baffled.

I don't want wisefab. Just not my thing.

I am probably going to go for PBM or Villains. There are so many different parts and accessories these days for angle and suspension that wasn't always a thing in the past, so I am looking for some opinions. My s14 is primarily drift set-up of course. I still want it to be suitable for basic style - I don't want major poke (I don't like it aesthetically) and I don't really want to spend 2K + on angle mods. Simplicity is fine by me.

Between those 2 brands, what's a good recommendation basic set-up?

I know it's zilvia, no hand holding and all that - but I love you guys and have for long time, so I hope that counts for something. Ha.

Thanks in advance for any help! Great thread btw OP!
Thanks. I'll just point out a few things that you might consider when making the decision on knuckles. The Villians kit is basic cut n' shut knuckles with no roll center correction. If you're even decently low this is going to give you sub-optimal performance, and while I know "donkei" style is all the rage these days, it's not actually any better than a low car with roll center correction.
Parts Shop Max knuckles are pretty decent, but they are definitely one of the heaviest options on the market. Geomaster V3's and GKtech V3 knuckles have the same benefits and are lighter, while physically lowering the car (true drop knuckles) for more shock travel vs a roll center correction knuckle like PSM.
You should probably decide if you want to make the switch to a lower-caster setup that is more optimized for drifting, or if you'd rather have lots of caster.
Honestly I think GKtech's bolt on adapter is by far the best bang for the buck, and has all the advantages of a roll center correction knuckle like PSM.

You can't go wrong with a knuckle that has roll center and bump steer correction honestly, it just depends which brand you want to support. I like the idea of products designed with math, FEA, and an engineer, so I bought Driftworks/Wisefab Geomaster V3's, strongly considering GKtech before deciding I want a dual purpose car and the Geomasters fit the bill better. PSM's policy of "redesign it till it works" doesn't really appeal to me personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240dream View Post
Opinion!! // where would you spend your money wisefab v2 , pbm limit break or gktech superlock. Seems like gktech really did some good r&d on there new knuckle/ lca setup and pbm always is top notch but for a ProAm level what would you choose ?!
If I was pursuing drifting from a strictly competition/career perspective, I'd buy wisefab v2, hands down. It's the lightest, has the most roll center correction, and is absolutely proven in all of the top competitions around the world. If I was concerned about style or didn't have the fab capabilities for the front crossmember mods the v2 requires, I'd choose Gktech v4. I'm not a huge fan of PSM for the reasons I listed above, though they do have a decent competition record.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote