View Single Post
Old 07-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
dsastr_clan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (10)
dsastr_clan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingtal0n View Post
It depends where the probe is. Water going in isn't as important as water going out. I would want to see it coming out around 185-190*F or even 200*F on the highway, most of the time in 90* ambient until oil reaches 210*F~ then let coolant come out of the engine a bit cooler 171-184*F when the engine is making more power.

Notice the temp we desire is reverse to the situation. In high output and high oil temp conditions we prefer lower coolant temps for intake air temp (safety/density). But in low output (cruise/idle) and low oil temps we prefer higher coolant temps for warming up and efficiency/economy.
It's all about warming and thinning out the oil so the engine can perform without excess wear and then not trying to carry away heat the engine needs to conserve fuel or improve fuel behavior when it needs that heat (consider arctic situation with alcohol fuel). The parts inside an engine are 'sized' around being fully warmed up (215~*F engine oil ranges) whether economically or performance oriented, although performance tends to leave 'extra room' (larger gaps or clearance) for excess warming (high temp high output)

thank you! I'm letting the engine stay within 182 to 187F now. The coolant probe for the gauge is located on the upper rad hose, so it should be giving some good temps.

I'm also using hood spacers and a rad support air duct. I will try to get an oil temp gauge too.

Thank you for your help.
dsastr_clan is offline   Reply With Quote