View Single Post
Old 05-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooled240 View Post
This is sound advice, but overkill for his goals imo. I know he said money wasn't an issue, but for the sake of argument I think investing in hardware is a better priority with SR's. Reducing the flexing of the block, keeping the valvetrain from exploding and keeping things very cool are paramount for these engines longevity. 350whp can easily be made on an OEM+ setup using the dated electronics, pump gas and a gt2871r (See Codyace's old SR setup)
I wouldn't call the electronics overkill. It makes it easier to tune and work with while also future proofing the car while not costing much more money.

An Apexi FC is what, $900? Compared to a Link G4+ that's can be had for $1,100.

IDX1050 are like $550 compared to what, $450 for 550 SF? You need to upgrade the pump one way or the other and a 485 is only like an extra $30 over the default 255. GM Map sensor is like $30 compared to a knock off Z32 MAF at $150 or a used POS.

So unless you really are trying to save pennies here and there - just "do it right".

Then it's easier to tune, more reliable to tune, you have more control and more options in the future. You can then go with throttle-by wire, multiple fuel maps (91, 93, e85, race) etc. With an ECU controlled boost solenoid you can they have ramp up boost, scramble boost, etc.

Its easier to data log, you don't need a dash full of gauges but can have them all go to a multi function screen or just blue-tooth over to you phone.

As for the new harness - we're dealing with cars that are pushing 30 years old, junk yard motors that have been swapped dozens of times. Connectors are all broke, wires corroded, etc. Its just so damn nice to have a new harness that drops right on in and you don't have to fight wiring issues for hours and day.

Having done it the hard way myself on multiple cars and having seen others do it the hard way for now over a decade - this is the best advice I can give.

The great thing is, all this stuff is future proof for when 300-350whp wants to be 350-450 to +500. Or if you want to run some big cams or ditch the cam sensor for a crank sensor, etc.
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote