View Single Post
Old 08-19-2016, 02:46 AM   #543
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Responding in line

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinbyrant View Post
this thread is amazing, one of the better ones out there for sure, just a few questions

#1 for all this welding work, and running fittings and lines, and cutting holes in your downpipes and all this extra work would it not just be easier to modify the valve cover internally and improve the baffling design to rival that of the s13.4 valve covers?

The only modification is to the valve cover actually. Its just drilling some holes and attaching some fittings and removed the T. There is no modification to the downpipe at all. There isn't a adequate space to baffle in the S13 vc, that is why the S14 has a hump...

#2 if your gonna go through all this work would it not make more sense to run the side valve cover vent and the top valve cover vent to a catch can with a baffled vacuum source and with a drain to the block vent with an inline filter that way your still seeing vacuum, still pulling air through the system and still collecting oil but instead of possibly filling a catch can or having the blowby oil from the side vent draining directly into the pan via the block vent its being filtered then drained?

That just seems more complicated to me.... Now you have 3 tubes running to the catch... meh..... Personally I think that would reduce the effectiveness of the can itself. The original design is enhancing the OE design of the system. So oil pulled into the head drains back down into the can through the head. Whatever is left over if anything is caught in the can. This way the design technically has 2 air oil separators. 1 is the head and the other is the can. What you are suggesting is actually eliminating 1 of those a/o separator for an oil drain solution.....

Like said this is a track tested setup... So... yeah....

also

while I agree they do a lot of stupid shit they aren't all junk, I owned a old first generation jetta with 824,000 miles on it, trans had been replaced multiple times but the engine was still original, had a litteral book of repair paperwork that dated from 10,000 miles to 720,000 miles I had never seen anything like it in my life