View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
NukeKS14
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
NukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really niceNukeKS14 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewulf View Post
I?m thinking it?s not the head gasket cause if it were it would be pouring out smoke even at idle right? Let me know if you have any advice or if you have had the same problem and how you solved it! Thanks!
Not necessarily. head gaskets can give at different points. between coolant and oil passages, between coolant and combustion chamber. blown headgaskets have a few symptoms, not always smoke.

I second the compression check. here's the FSM on what to expect. If you get low numbers and put a little oil and get better numbers that tells you it's rings/ringlands.. if you get low numbers and oil does not improve them then it's probably valvetrain related, but could also point to headgasket (especially if it's blowing bubbles in your puke tank. check there at idle, that's a dead giveaway for a blown HG, high non-condensible gas content in the coolant.)

Cylinder washdown sounds probable if you truly have a leaky injector. Especially if your compression is markedly lower on that cylinder.

https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals

download an FSM for yourself.

The fix depends on what the problem turns out to be.

Might also buy a valve cover gasket set and pull the upper timing chain guides while you're at it. They can disintegrate and clog the oil pickup tube. There are a number of threads on that topic, just do a quick google search. One of the Nico links has a ton of pics.

'best' oil depends on your climate. I run Amsoil Premium Protection 10w40 on my KA-T. It has a high zinc content which is good for our cam-on-bucket heads. There are quite a few good oils with zinc. the FSM shows recommended oil weights for climate. I run a touch thicker from the added heat my turbo throws in there.
NukeKS14 is offline   Reply With Quote