View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #25
DDonovan
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DDonovan is an unknown quantity at this point
April 23rd Update

We now have all the island Honda Dealerships on board. We currently have 59 cars pre-registered and 97 people. This is truly excellent. With these types of numbers we should be able to send a number of disabled and terminally ill kids to camp. Not to mention giving the loving families of these special kids a break.

I am starting to collect money for the event now. Unfortunately I don't use PayPal. For those of you that are in Canada I have been using Interact Money Transfers which work really well. You don't have to provide any banking information to me at all. All you need is my email address. The entire process is handled by your bank and my bank and the transaction is monitored by Interact. Unfortunately this is not setup in the US and as such I can only accept Interact Money Transfers from Canadian residents at the moment. Those of you wishing to pay that don't want to use Interact Money Transfer can simply snail mail me a cheque.

Here is the link to the Interact Money Transfer site. They have a list of all participating banking institutions on this page. If your bank is listed then you are good to go. All you do is log into your bank, there should be a link to Interact Money Transfer. You pick the account and the amount and hit send. Interact puts a hold on your cash (the selected amount) and sends me an email. I then go to my bank online and accept the transfer..., easy peasy, and no exchange of ANY banking information. There is also a demo on the Interact page:

Interact Money Transfer Site

The costs are as follows:
Car and Driver ==> $100.00
Passengers ==> $50.00

This includes participation, and banquet dinner at Mt Washington Resort.

Other things to think of:
1) Accommodations if you are planning on spending the night on the mountain. I have arranged special pricing for accommodations on the mountain. Rooms can be had for between 99 - 189 Cdn per night depending on the type of accommodations you are looking for. You can also go to the Mt Washington site and rent private accommodations (town homes, condo's) and they are very inexpensive and you could share them as they are all pretty large. Last year I got a condo that sleeps 10 for $75.00/night. Here is the link:
Mt Washington Accomodations Site
  • Remember that this event can be done in one day. You don't need to spend the night. If I know which ferry you are arriving on I can arrange for you to leave with a later group. After the event and dinner and prizes are awarded, we do this early enough that you can still catch the Nanaimo Ferry over to the mainland. Last Ferry leaves at 11:45 and Mt Washington is about an hour and a bit from the terminal. A few people did this last year without any problems.
2) Raffle: There will be a raffle of donated items to help raise money. We sell raffle tickets in the amount of $5, $10, and $25 dollar amounts. Each item is priced accordingly. You put your ticket into the buckets of items you are interested in and we draw the winners during the evening. Last year almost everyone went home with something thanks to some great sponsorship.

3) There will be a bar available up until midnight for those that wish to hang around.

I will get the menu posted up as soon as it is confirmed. Thanks again to all those that have donated funds and their time to help me help the kids!

Cars: 59
People: 97

Last edited by DDonovan; 04-29-2011 at 07:52 PM..
DDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote