View Single Post
Old 07-28-2018, 01:48 AM   #22011
mr.nismo.
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (31)
mr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond reputemr.nismo. has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTTon View Post
The age old problem of diff clunk is currently haunting me. I have a solid driveshaft, solid subframe bushings and an lsd in the rear (not sure if native to the car or not).

The issue is whenever I shift gears or get on/off throttle I can feel the driveshaft spin up before it engages in the differential. Now, I was underneath the car and was checking play and the driveshaft will rotate a good quarter turn before I feel any resistance from the diff (engagement). As a result I think something is up with my diff, there is too much play and whenever the driveshaft applies torque there is play and clunks whenever there is engagement. I've read it could be remedied by shimming the diff input shaft, but I wanted to get some second opinions.

EDIT: I forgot to mention it begins to whine when putting lots of load, so like high throttle
Sounds like the ring and pinion are fucked up. Not something you can shim your way out of. You need to replace the diff or ring and pinion (recommend buying a used diff, but check the gears obviously)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mr.nismo. is offline   Reply With Quote