View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #78
gills
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
gills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the roughgills is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawakalj View Post
This thread is super interesting. I'm building my own S14 with a blown VK56 (because I like to keep it Nissan, and some race series require that your motor manufacturer matches the chassis) that will see track/race duty - hillclimb primarily, though I've recently been seriously considering endurance as well, which means I'll probably need to have the ability to take the blower off.

I'll be putting in a MK60 ABS system - Doug had mentioned he had just done the run lengths for an S14 install in the passenger well, now I see where that unit went. Looks like I might be #3 with this ABS system installed.

Did you install the steering angle sensor and wire it up to the ABS unit? If so, was it a pain to do right?

After seeing your ABS install setup, I'll probably run Z33 sensors on the rear (R33 GTR diff with factory ABS tone rings/sensors) and E46 sensors on the front as I've already got ABS spindles. Thanks for spending so much time solving these problems so I don't have to
Thanks for posting!

I don't have the SAS in the car. Not needed for operational ABS, only Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) if you want that capability or if you want to log steering angle. I asked him to route the wires and connector for it because I eventually wanted install the SAS to log my steering angles, but he forgot to do it. A CAN emulator is needed to access and record that data. Steering angle is great info for driver coaching/training.

DSC would also be nice to have for wet races for less skilled drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawakalj View Post
When talking about the brakes, you say:

What is significant/different about the B13 non-abs booster vs the S-chassis one? I saw some comments on the NRR forum about it increasing modulation? Does it apply less boosting to the system overall, making it less binary?

I'm going to be running SRT8 four pistons on all corners, 355/350mm 370z track rotors, stainless lines, and currently planning on a 17/16 Z32 master. The booster on the car is currently the stock S14 manual abs one it came from the factory with.

I need to go to the local pick-n-pull to get some nissan parts bin bits (it's nice these cars are all like lego), maybe I'll grab a B13 booster while I'm there.

Way better modulation for threshold braking. The absolute worst being an automatic S14 booster which is a dual diaphragm unit. Just about any big brake setup with racing pads with that particular booster is infuriating to modulate. The S13 manual booster is better, but still touchy brakes. The B13 sentra booster is about 1" smaller diaphragm diameter than the S13 one is and the difference was immediately noticeable.

As for your brake setup, just get my kit instead! OEM pads are usually way more expensive and the one piece rotors are heavy as a mofo.

But in all seriousness, are you putting a pedal box with dual master setup in? PM me if you want to discuss there. You can also email me at [email protected] if you want (I'd prefer that). I'm curious about your setup.