View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 PM   #141
battery1882
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (13)
battery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enoughbattery1882 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
I can almost promise it will pull apart again.

The key to all the woes is simply the exhaust to transmission mount bracket. That and a flex in the downpipe is what cured my problem.

If you think about it, the turbo is in a constant state of trying to pull away from the manifold (turbo is hanging down off the manifold). Couple that with several thousand heat cycles and vibrations and no matter type of adamantium you use for hardware, the turbo and manifold will inevitably separate. The problem is exacerbated with more power (heat) and track usage (heat cycles). The studs is what the issue is btw, and NOT the mounting/locking hardware. The studs themselves see several thousand heat cycles and end up stretching and contracting hundreds of thousands of times with no cooling being available. Once the studs are compromised, the locking hardware is useless. And this is why I ALWAYS recommend OEM Inconel studs and not any aftermarket bling bling trash. That or the TSE $100 kit from the miata guys (Inconel studs and stage 8 locking hardware).

Not sure how many times I have said this to folks lol. a few options
1) weld a bracket to the compressor housing and suspend the turbo/manifold combo off the engine
2) Run the exhaust/transmission bracket with flex section
3) Weld them together.
well explained! I have mine welded. I have titanium cat-back and flexible hose on the down pipe. It was still backing out.
Cheapest solution is factory hardware + tack welds. or v-band. If you go back few pages, you will see how mine was welded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Dimensions View Post
From start to finish is a fun read.
Thank you!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................................

Put carpet back in to run Global Time Attack Street Class!

looking forward to 6/3/2017