View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #342
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmini View Post
H

In my head I have just come up with this theory on what's happening..

The track rod is parallel to the ground which means it will effectively get slightly shorter through out bump and droop.

The lower control arm is pointing upwards towards the hub. This means it will effectively get shorter during bump and longer during droop. During bump the effective shortening of the arm will narrow the track width of the hubs but because the steering doesn't change length at the same rate it steers the wheel towards toe in.

Dunno if that makes sense?? But basically instead of reducing bump steer I think that the psm knuckles increase it dramitically.

Kev
You are talking about the front suspension right? It's really pretty simple, if you move one arm without moving the other you may/may not be fixing anything. You want the arcs of used travel of the LCA and the tie rod to match as close as possible. With the right amount of spacing on the tie rod only you MAY be able to help your bumpsteer. With the wrong amount of spacing you are only going to make it worse.

I personally ran kazama tie rod ends on my car for about a week. Just from driving on the street I thought that I could feel moree bumpsteer. The car darted around more when you would hit bumps with one side of the car only. After that experience I decided that I wasn't going to mess with the steering geometry untill I was going to mess with the roll center as well. Once my setup is all done I am going to set the tie rod end spacing using a bump steer guage.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote